rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:48 am 

I've instaled SDRSharp on several PCs in the past (XP and Win 7) with no problems. However I just got a new (to me) Windows 10 (64 bit pro) laptop (Dell Latitude E5500) and I'm having a problem getting SDRSharp to run.

I downloaded the software, ran the install.bat file, made sure rtlsdr.dll and zadig.exe were downloaded correctly and tried nto run SDRSharp.exe. The PC asked for permission to run (which I gave) but nothing happened. No error message, no opening screen.

I did run zadig to install the correct SDR driver (though I don't think the wrong driver would prevent SDRSharp from opening)

So I went to the system error log and found the following entry:

Application: SDRSharp.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.DllNotFoundException at PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI.Pa_Initialize() at PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI..cctor() Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException at PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI.Pa_GetDefaultInputDevice() at SDRSharp.Radio.PortAudio.AudioDevice.GetDevices(SDRSharp.Radio.PortAudio.DeviceDirection) at SDRSharp.MainForm.InitializeGUI() at SDRSharp.MainForm..ctor() at SDRSharp.Program.Main()

Does this mean anything to anyone here? Looks like maybe some issues with the audio ports?

I'm new to windows 10. My other machines are still running Windows 7 so I'm not that familiar with troubleshooting on Windows 10.

I do have Visual C++ runtime installed and the latest version of .NET for windows 10 from Microsoft (which I think they designate as 4.6.1). The registry seems to confirm version 4.6.1.

Am I missing somethings? Any help would be appreciated. I don't understand enough to usefully interpret the system application error message.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:41 pm 

Was a crash.txt file created in the SDRSharp folder?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:45 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Indeed the "crash" file was created. Here are the contents:

The type initializer for 'PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI' threw an exception.
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.PortAudioAPI.Pa_GetDefaultInputDevice (IL offset: 0xffffffff)
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.AudioDevice.GetDevices (IL offset: 0x6)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm.InitializeGUI (IL offset: 0x153)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm..ctor (IL offset: 0x14a)
at SDRSharp.exe.Program.Main (IL offset: 0x69)

I don't know what that signifies, but again it seem to be somehow related to the audio port(s)?

Normal audio use on the PC (system sounds, YouTube videos etc.) seem just fine.

Again, any help would be appreciated. I'm at a loss as to what to look at next.

Update: I also loaded an earlier version of SDRsharp (1.0.0.1331) which I was running on my Win 7 system. It required loading an earlier version of .NET (3.5?), but after that, and more messing with drivers, I got it running OK. Resolution was limited by a 2.2 GHz duo core CPU, but at and FFT display resolution of 65536 and a sample rate of 2.048 MSPS everything runs OK and audio is fine. However the current version of SDRSharp still crashes with the same crash.txt file contents.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:39 pm 

Well, it's fixed

Apparently version 1452 doesn't work with Windows 10, but the version available for download TODAY is 1453, and that works. The portaudio.dll file is much smaller in 1453 and it works.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 pm 

I'm seeing pretty much the same thing.
An older version of SDR# was running fine on Windows 7.
I thought I would try the latest version, rev 1572, on the same computer.
It fails to start up and leaves behind a crash.txt containing:

The type initializer for 'PortAudioSharp.PortAudioAPI' threw an exception.
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.PortAudioAPI.Pa_GetDefaultInputDevice (IL offset: 0xffffffff)
at SDRSharp.Radio.dll.AudioDevice.GetDevices (IL offset: 0x6)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm.InitializeGUI (IL offset: 0x153)
at SDRSharp.exe.MainForm..ctor (IL offset: 0x150)
at SDRSharp.exe.Program.Main (IL offset: 0x6e)

Same Windows 7 computer, same day.
The old version, v1.0.0.1361, in a different folder, is still fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 am 

same here
rtlsharp 1577 doesnt run on win10/64. Older version works fine.

I think slowly the support for the dongle wil go aeay.

Henk