rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:18 pm 

Hi,

since I have some free android tablets/phones I wonder if there are any new android apps that would allow me to place a spare tablet with a 3g card on a remote location and use it with RTLSDR to be able to listen to fm/am radio transmissions on another device / pc ? I do not neet waterfalls and other spectrum analysis stuff, but just be able to put in frequencies I am interested in OR search within the search limits and be able to store those freqs.. just like a regular scanner.
I would like to feed the audio over the internet and be able to set the audio codec/quality, to use a little bandwith. I am also interested to be able to remotely controll the app by connecting to it and change the frequency, save, lock out.. etc.. and considering the 1GB dataplan I would not like to use more than that..

do you have any knowledge of something like this? I have heard of SDR Touch and FR Analyzer but I am using more for a scanner than analyzer..

thank you for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:10 pm 

Remember few things :
1) on Android sytems, with a SDR dongle you can only see max 1MHz spectrum bandwith.
2) On Android listen FM with an SDR dongle is overkill. You can use Wavesink for listen DAB without SDR dongle, and many other Radio stations.
3) You get no good reception if your are not been outside with the tablet/smartphone and a GOOD antenna on the SDR dongle.
4) The plugged SDR dongle consumes very much current from your tablet. You can NOT work without a powersup. adaptor a longtime (< 1hour) .
5) Without SDR dongle, there are Web-SDR servers for experimenting on Android systems.
5) Many old tablet's are to slow for SDR.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:32 pm 

hi

as I have said, I do not need a wide spectrum. I would like to be able to save the frequencies, be able to scan fast through the channels, and if it's possible, I'd like to be able to scan through the frequency limit. Since FM audio needs 12.5khz, it would surely work fine. I don't think it's overkill to use approximately 20$ or 20€ dongle to listen to FM audio only. It's pretty cheap.
And yes, I am aware of the power consumption and antennas. I am just looking for the software which I have not found yet. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Admin

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _tcp_andro

The RTL-SDR driver for Android is basically rtl_tcp. You can run that and then connect to it from a PC on your network. Beware that rtl_tcp needs quite high WiFi bandwidth though.

I'm not aware of any solutions that encode it down into an MP3 and broadcast that. Such solutions only exist for Linux on the Raspberry Pi or similar devices at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 pm 

xichtiq wrote:
Hi,

since I have some free android tablets/phones I wonder if there are any new android apps that would allow me to place a spare tablet with a 3g card on a remote location and use it with RTLSDR to be able to listen to fm/am radio transmissions on another device / pc ? I do not neet waterfalls and other spectrum analysis stuff, but just be able to put in frequencies I am interested in OR search within the search limits and be able to store those freqs.. just like a regular scanner.
I would like to feed the audio over the internet and be able to set the audio codec/quality, to use a little bandwith. I am also interested to be able to remotely controll the app by connecting to it and change the frequency, save, lock out.. etc.. and considering the 1GB dataplan I would not like to use more than that..

do you have any knowledge of something like this? I have heard of SDR Touch and FR Analyzer but I am using more for a scanner than analyzer..

thank you for your thoughts.

Application zello for SDR

Greetings friend, I recommend you follow this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sDtf5oywY

From your phone you can listen to any sound that is generated from your PC
But to change frequency I use the application for android team viewer and it works perfect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:57 pm 

thank you for your thoughts, I know zello. but it does not have VOX function on android

I am looking for an app for android. something like SDR Touch or SDRoid, but without waterfalls and other stuff. I would like to seet frequencies, and scan them. and output audio in low bandwith codec. /zello would be awesome if it worked on android with VOX function/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:39 pm 

xichtiq wrote:
thank you for your thoughts, I know zello. but it does not have VOX function on android

I am looking for an app for android. something like SDR Touch or SDRoid, but without waterfalls and other stuff. I would like to seet frequencies, and scan them. and output audio in low bandwith codec. /zello would be awesome if it worked on android with VOX function/

Using VOX mode in Loudtalks

http://blog.zello.com/2009/04/28/using- ... loudtalks/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:48 pm 

Again, thanks all that try to help :)

but again.. I would like to run it on android tablet. not windows, linux, mac, raspberry pi, arduino, or whatever. I want to use RTLSDR + my tablet only. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:39 am 
Site Admin

You could use teamviewer or any other VNC app (like https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .vncserver ) for Android, then just remote desktop into it from your PC.