rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to copy car key fob?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 am 

Hello,

I'd like to build device which would be able to copy key fob. What would be the easiest/best approach?

More details:
My friend is running car rental company and he need some device which would be able to lock/unlock car using mobile phone (GSM module/BT module/whatever wireless). My idea is use Arduino Uno (or sth similar) and copy the key fob.
Car owner would use his key fob to teach the device and then place it in car.
I'd like to avoid buying programmed key and teaching car the new key. That would be way too complicated for car owners.

Thank you very much for any help!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:02 am 
Site Admin

It's not that easy, most car fobs have rolling code security, so once the button is pressed the code changes. You need the official IC with the rolling code algorithm programmed in by the manufacturer and they probably won't give that to you. Probably the only way would be to purchase a second keyfob from the car manufacturer, and activate that keyfob via the arduino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:27 pm 

rtlsdrblog wrote:
It's not that easy, most car fobs have rolling code security, so once the button is pressed the code changes. You need the official IC with the rolling code algorithm programmed in by the manufacturer and they probably won't give that to you. Probably the only way would be to purchase a second keyfob from the car manufacturer, and activate that keyfob via the arduino.

I'm not so sure about them using rolling codes. I've heard there are car thieves that have these "black boxes" that they can hold near a car and like magic the doors unlock. And it works with all cars too, not limited to a particular manufacturer. So it's not like they took out the crypto chip from an existing keyfob to use in their hacking device. Otherwise, it would be locked into working with only one brand of car. I think each car is programmed with a unique number (like a UUID, universally unique ID) that no 2 cars in the world share. When that serial number is transmitted using the proper modulation, followed by a command (such as "unlock doors"), the car reacts to the transmitted ID+command. I think these black boxes work by trying every possible UUID that could be assigned to a car, followed by the unlock command, using an ultra-fast dedicated microcontroller.

Of course, I could be mistaken about this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Ben321 wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:

I'm not so sure about them using rolling codes. I've heard there are car thieves that have these "black boxes" that they can hold near a car and like magic the doors unlock. And it works with all cars too, not limited to a particular manufacturer. So it's not like they took out the crypto chip from an existing keyfob to use in their hacking device. Otherwise, it would be locked into working with only one brand of car. I think each car is programmed with a unique number (like a UUID, universally unique ID) that no 2 cars in the world share. When that serial number is transmitted using the proper modulation, followed by a command (such as "unlock doors"), the car reacts to the transmitted ID+command. I think these black boxes work by trying every possible UUID that could be assigned to a car, followed by the unlock command, using an ultra-fast dedicated microcontroller.

Almost all modern cars have rolling code security. Those black boxes are most likely jam, record and replay devices. See rolljam http://www.rtl-sdr.com/?s=rolljam .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 am 

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Ben321 wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:

Almost all modern cars have rolling code security. Those black boxes are most likely jam, record and replay devices. See rolljam http://www.rtl-sdr.com/?s=rolljam .

There have also been news reports of car thieves walking along a street, and any car near them suddenly just unlocking. So some of these devices apparently can try all the possible codes in the set, in a fraction of a second, and any car within RF communication distance of the device will just unlock like magic. Sort of like a master key. It works on any car using the code set that the hacker's black box was programmed with. And at the press of a button, the device tries all possible codes in a second or less.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 am 

rtlsdrblog wrote:

so what if I buy Universal Key Fob and copy car key as they do it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI5Xq8nZQSw
Do you think that would work? Let's assume both key fobs use rolling codes and work at 433 Mhz.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 am 

mira_11 wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:

Do you think that would work? Let's assume both key fobs use rolling codes and work at 433 Mhz.

I think you dont need to think too much on rolling codes. If you copy the signal off the hook of vehicle range seperately, then vehicle can accept the code transmitted via another transmitter (not fob key)
Here is an example (with signal jamming) http://spencerwhyte.blogspot.com.cy/201 ... eplay.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 am 
Site Admin

stevevaius wrote:
mira_11 wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:

I think you dont need to think too much on rolling codes. If you copy the signal off the hook of vehicle range seperately, then vehicle can accept the code transmitted via another transmitter (not fob key)
Here is an example (with signal jamming) http://spencerwhyte.blogspot.com.cy/201 ... eplay.html

Yep that's the same as rolljam. But then you only have one valid rolling code stored away. Once its used you cannot reuse that signal ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 am 
Site Admin

mira_11 wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:

Again it depends if the car has rolling code security or not. Probably some older model cars don't have it and a copy device like this might work. But if there is rolling codes then it won't work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:50 pm 

This has become major police issue here in England, so we should be careful not to inadvertently tell crooks how to do it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ailed.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38225274

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12 ... k-jammers/