rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am 

I have a DKD2 sdr radio USB dongle that I am connecting to a Dell Inspiron 3541, OS Win7 Home 32bit laptop. This is the 1st time connecting the dongle to this laptop. I lost all my setup instructions for the dongle + the setup software and everything else on the D hard drive that was in an external USB case. A can of Coke a Cola got dumped on the external USB hard drive case. It wiped out the external USB case and the hard drive in it. I had to re-download everything or upload what I could from backup cd's. I don't remember the routine for installing the dongle driver and SDRsharp. I did the best I could and Zadig reported the driver as successfully installed. I started up SDRsharp and everything looked fine at 1st, see the 1st attached screen capture. It shows the RTL-SDR USB highlight in blue. I then hit play and I got the 2nd screen capture bellow. "no device selected". So I went to the settings gear and opened RTL-SDR controller and "no device selected" and it is grayed out. I can't select anything, see 3rd screen capture. I don't remember how to fix it.
A PS the windows device manager reports: RTL2832U Device status as "This device is working properly".

Steve KC7BYP

Attachment:
1st sdrsarp.jpg
1st sdrsarp.jpg [ 140.36 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

Attachment:
2nd sdrsarp.jpg
2nd sdrsarp.jpg [ 135.55 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

Attachment:
3rd sdrsarp.jpg
3rd sdrsarp.jpg [ 147.93 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Follow the quickstart guide at www.rtl-sdr.com/qsg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:43 pm 

Yep I found the problem after going through the quick start guide. I didn't install the driver right with "zadig" :D

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Follow the quickstart guide at http://www.rtl-sdr.com/qsg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:42 am 

I am still having a problem installing the driver. The 1st screen capture bellow is the list "zadig" sees. The 2nd screen capture bellow is the driver error message when I hit "reinstall driver" button. And that's is far as I can get.

Steve

Attachment:
list all.jpg
list all.jpg [ 54.32 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

Attachment:
driver error.jpg
driver error.jpg [ 64.39 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

reble wrote:
Yep I found the problem after going through the quick start guide. I didn't install the driver right with "zadig" :D

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Follow the quickstart guide at http://www.rtl-sdr.com/qsg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Not sure why its failing, but zadig is already showing that you have the WinUSB driver installed.

The box on the left of the arrow shows the CURRENTLY installed driver, and the box to the right of the arrow shows the driver that WILL BE installed after click on install driver.

Yours already shows WinUSB on the left, so this indicates that the driver is already installed.

Are there any problems running SDR# or whatever software you are deciding to use?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 pm 

The 1st SDRsharp screen capture bellow shows the list with the dongle listed. The 2nd screen capture shows when hit the start button in SDRsharp an error message shows up saying "no device selected". In the 3rd screen capture it shows that when I go into setup > RTL - SDR controller. There is nothing in the device box and the box is grayed out. This time I started fresh, new from the start using the quickstart guide step by step. There must be something I am doing wrong or I am missing a step.

Steve

Attachment:
1st sdrsarp.jpg
1st sdrsarp.jpg [ 140.36 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

Attachment:
2nd sdrsarp.jpg
2nd sdrsarp.jpg [ 135.55 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

Attachment:
3rd sdrsarp.jpg
3rd sdrsarp.jpg [ 147.93 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Not sure why its failing, but zadig is already showing that you have the WinUSB driver installed.

The box on the left of the arrow shows the CURRENTLY installed driver, and the box to the right of the arrow shows the driver that WILL BE installed after click on install driver.

Yours already shows WinUSB on the left, so this indicates that the driver is already installed.

Are there any problems running SDR# or whatever software you are deciding to use?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:30 pm 

:oops: BINGO now SDRsharp works. I forgot to install the file "rtlsdr.dll" in the SDRsharp directory. It just hit me all of a sudden like a light bulb kicking on. So you can file this one away for the next person that has this problem. And you can ask them if the "rtlsdr.dll" file is installed. :D I still have to fine tune SDRsharp for best signal, but at lease it now works.

Steve