rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 am 

I have been using my NooElec RTL2832U with SDR# fine. Went to start it today and now SDR# is reporting the error "Cannot access RTL device" when I click the play button. When I go to settings mu device is shown correctly and RTL-SDR (USB) is selected in the source.

I have tried reinstalling the device drivers in Zadig with Administrator rights and have confirmed that the SDR-x86 folder is not read only.

I have tried changing ports with the USB dongle and reinstalling drivers however still get the same message.

Any ideas as to the problem?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Double check that the rtlsdr.dll file is still in the folder.

Also try it on another PC to rule out a hardware fault.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:06 am 

I can successfully install SDR# on my laptop. Interestingly when I run Zadig it detects the "bulk interface 0" that people keep mentioning.

On my desktop I uninstalled the device "RTL2838UHIDIR" device from Device Manager and also deleted SDR#. I downloaded the latest x64 version and installed it. Alas running "install-rtlsdr" does not work so I did a manual install as per the quick start guide. When I run Zadig it does not find a device and I need to select Options-List All Devices and then select "RTL2838UHIDIR", no "bulk interface 0" is displayed.

When I run SDRSharp I receive the "Cannot access RTL device" message.

rtlsdr.dll is in the folder and is not read only.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:20 am 
Site Admin

RTL2838UHIDIR is also a valid selection for zadig. Does the driver install work? What driver does it show on the left of the green arrow now? That box shows the currently installed driver, it should be WinUSB.

Some Windows systems seem to aggressively overwrite the zadig drivers with broken Windows ones within seconds of using zadig. If it seems to be doing that make sure that automatic driver updates are turned off in Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 am 

I kept uninstalling the device driver via COntrol Manager and deleting the SDR# folder. After doing this four times SDR# is now working. Pretty annoying.

The driver is shows to the left is WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385). Its the same one it installs. Windows 10 detects it this way by default.

Only thing I have noted is that the WCID checkbox is always showing a red cross. Under Windows 8.1 it always showed a green tick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 am 
Site Admin

If it stops working again, check to see what driver is installed in device manager.

I have a feeling that your Windows is overwriting the drivers.