rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 pm 

Hi, i made a remote controlled antenna switch as a tool to test and compare different antennas. I tried to make it simple and cheap.
I could even insert the periodic switching function without breaking the $4 barrier (actually it came unexpected :) ). It's surprising the things we can do with very little money using common parts, RTL teaches..
Here you can see it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:20 am 

Have you thought about making a few and selling them? I wish I could still do stuff like that but because of medical issues I have neen thru, its not possible for me anymore.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 am 

Hi Dave,
this simple project has very little cost if you buy parts from China, assemble it yourself, accetpt and explore its unknown limits; but if you have to consider a price for the time spent and then add shipping costs the final price rises from $4 to $40; at that point you want state of the art manufacture and specifications that can be obtained only with measuring equipment that i do not have; in this case you better look for commercial products.
Also consider that anyone may need different versions, like 5v or 12v relays, BNC or F type or SMA connectors, external power or Bias T, simple case or waterproof...
You may try to join a local radio club and find other enthusiasts that can help you. Considering the low cost a convenient incentive to get help could be to order parts for two kits and offer one kit in exchange for the assembly of yours.
I could have helped you if i was in the USA but i am in Italy ad the cost for shipping is very high.
Good luck!