rtl-sdr.com

Discuss RTL-SDR and cheap software defined radio
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:25 pm 

Can someone give me a simple instruction that will play some radio.

I am about 50km east of Stockholm, Sweden.
I bought an rtl-sdr v3 dongle from a local dealer in sweden.
It seems to run, but all I get is noise audio and seemingly pointless spectrum.

I AM a newbie, completely green. I used to listen to a large old tube set in the sixties, AM only, Radio Luxemburg on MW and various central european SW transmitters, but only AM.

So I'm probably missing loads of settings in SDR#, unless of course the dongle is DOA.

So, can someone give me a step by step instruction of all settings in SDR# including a frequency and all that should give me some spoken words or music to verify that my stuff actually works?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:23 pm 

What kind of antenna are you using?

n3mmr wrote:
Can someone give me a simple instruction that will play some radio.

I am about 50km east of Stockholm, Sweden.
I bought an rtl-sdr v3 dongle from a local dealer in sweden.
It seems to run, but all I get is noise audio and seemingly pointless spectrum.

I AM a newbie, completely green. I used to listen to a large old tube set in the sixties, AM only, Radio Luxemburg on MW and various central european SW transmitters, but only AM.

So I'm probably missing loads of settings in SDR#, unless of course the dongle is DOA.

So, can someone give me a step by step instruction of all settings in SDR# including a frequency and all that should give me some spoken words or music to verify that my stuff actually works?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 am 
Site Admin

First we need to clarify exactly what you are trying to listen to. Is it VHF/UHF or HF? What particular frequencies, or bands are you looking at?

From your talk about SW receivers, I assume that your main goal is HF reception? To enable the HF mode you need to follow the instructions here for setting the software correctly: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-blog-v-3 ... ser-guide/

Also for HF, you'll require an actual HF antenna. The provided whip antenna probably will not work for HF signals. A long wire, 5m+ clamped onto the antenna base might work.

Before doing that though, test your reception with broadcast FM stations. e.g. tune to 88 - 108 MHz and see if you get anything?

As usual screenshots are helpful if you want us to check settings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 am 

I was trying for something under 30 MHz: I realised I don't even know if there are any stations near enough to hear a signal here.
I tried the dongle on SDRuno/android and it played some FM at 92.4 (Swedish Radio programme 1), so the dongle works.

Antenna: I clamped 4-5 meters of 2mm² copper wire found in tje farm workshop, but I'll try some ordinary multistranded cable of say 10 meters, slung across the beams on my veranda.

I'll read that instruction, thanks! And try again this evening, after dusk.
rtlsdrblog wrote:
First we need to clarify exactly what you are trying to listen to. Is it VHF/UHF or HF? What particular frequencies, or bands are you looking at?

From your talk about SW receivers, I assume that your main goal is HF reception? To enable the HF mode you need to follow the instructions here for setting the software correctly: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-blog-v-3 ... ser-guide/

Also for HF, you'll require an actual HF antenna. The provided whip antenna probably will not work for HF signals. A long wire, 5m+ clamped onto the antenna base might work.

Before doing that though, test your reception with broadcast FM stations. e.g. tune to 88 - 108 MHz and see if you get anything?

As usual screenshots are helpful if you want us to check settings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:06 am 
Site Admin

Yep just follow those instructions to enable direct sampling q-branch mode so that you can access the HF frequencies. If that mode is not enabled you won't see anything on HF frequencies.