Cannot get a good FM signal

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
maxtim

Cannot get a good FM signal

Post by maxtim » Tue May 11, 2021 3:27 pm

I've tried a great many things to get a good FM signal using my RTL-SDR. I have a regular radio receiver which I use to compare the antenna that I'm using. At home, I just have rabbit ears. With my receiver, I'm able to clearly pick up frequencies on the lower band (91Mhz - ~100Mhz). The upper band has no issues (100Mhz - 107Mhz). At my office, I have a whip antenna mounted above the tree line. That antenna can pick the entire FM band with little to no issues at all. Yet when I plug either of these antennas into my SDR, using Windows or Linux, I can't seem to pick up anything in the lower band, and the upper band has a lot of interference.

I've tried using powered FM amplifiers, filters, microwave filters, different antenna configurations, etc. I get close, but never very satisfactory. Especially at the office. I feel like that should be able to pick up the stations just the same as the receiver.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting in software that can help cleanup the signal?

hotpaw2

Re: Cannot get a good FM signal

Post by hotpaw2 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:39 pm

It could be RF noise from the computer getting into either the SDR or the antenna feed line.

qrp

Post by qrp » Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 pm

It's hard to say what is going on wrong somewhere with no magic ball :)

If you post at least screenshot with HDSDR it will be possible to say something about your case...

Usually such thing may happens due to input overload, incorrect gain setting etc.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 am

Please show us screenshots of your settings and what the spectrum looks like.