Regarding extension cables

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Dreamofgilgamesh

Regarding extension cables

Post by Dreamofgilgamesh » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi chaps, my first question as a new user and I'm sure it's an easy one for you old hands.

My PC is set up in my room, adjacent to it is another room where I want to set up my antenna, I have chosen that room because it has a full length picture window which would be ideal for attaching the little dipole stock antenna too. The room is about 14 metres away.

What would be the best way to reach to the next room? What type of cables/coax would you recommend I use?

Thanks chaps.

alanzfq

Re: Regarding extension cables

Post by alanzfq » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:09 am

For a start tell us what you have. Presumably a RTL dongle? v3?
What do you want to do with it? HF/VHF?
The little antenna supplied is generally of little use but that depends..
Alan

Dreamofgilgamesh

Post by Dreamofgilgamesh » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:24 am

Sorry Alan how foolish of me not to give full seagulls. Yes I have the RTL-SDR V3 dongle and the little antenna. I am totally new to this so at the moment it's just a matter of getting it set up and familiarizing myself with the software. But as I said, the whole setup will be neater if I can extend the antenna into the other room.
Thank you for your kind reply.

alanzfq

Post by alanzfq » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 am

If you want to use HF and VHF then really you need two antennas, the little whip will work on VHF but will give very little on HF.
For HF a long wire or active antenna will be needed.
I assume that outside antennas are not possible? Indoor antennas can be a problem with electrical noise from just about anything that uses power.
I was hoping someone else would suggest extensions. Probably RG58 with suitable connectors or adaptors?
Alan

wick09788

Post by wick09788 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:26 am

Dreamofgilgamesh wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:29 pm
Hi chaps, my first question as a new user and I'm sure it's an easy one for you old hands.

My PC is set up in my room, adjacent to it is another room where I want to set up my antenna, I have chosen that room because it has a full length picture window which would be ideal for attaching the little dipole stock antenna too. The room is about 14 metres away. FmWhatsapp apk

What would be the best way to reach to the next room? What type of cables/coax would you recommend I use?

Thanks chaps.