Laptop insufficient for rtl sdr?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Giftmacher

Laptop insufficient for rtl sdr?

Post by Giftmacher » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:22 am

Hi, I have older Dell e6400 with core 2 duo P8600 and 4GB RAM, Win 7. Yesterday trying record some NOAA satellites I experienced stuttering even when I moved the mouse. Today I had running except the SdrSharp also WXtoimg and orbitron and it was even worse. Power manager is set on high performance, laptop is mains powered. I certainly tried lower the sample rate, still the same.

AnomalySmith

Re: Laptop insufficient for rtl sdr?

Post by AnomalySmith » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:19 am

Hi,

What about the Task Manager says in Performance tab ? (I guess you are on Windows)

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 pm

Might be a bit of a stretch for that PC to run all those programs at once. Try turn the FFT resolution down as well as the sample rate.

Also as the previous reply said, check task manager to see how much CPU each program is using.

Giftmacher

Post by Giftmacher » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Ok, I'll check that out, thanks!

Valeriy

Post by Valeriy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Giftmacher wrote:Hi, I have older Dell e6400 with core 2 duo P8600 and 4GB RAM, Win 7. Yesterday trying record some NOAA satellites I experienced stuttering even when I moved the mouse. Today I had running except the SdrSharp also WXtoimg and orbitron and it was even worse. Power manager is set on high performance, laptop is mains powered. I certainly tried lower the sample rate, still the same.
You might try to update to Win 10.
It works well even on PCs with dual-core processors and 4 GB RAM (I have updated all my three PCs, two Toshiba Satellite, and even a less powerful Acer Extensa with those same specs).
And yes, the update is free for whom already has Win 7, 8, or 8.1.
Just be prepared to a download of about 3.4 GBytes... :)

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:27 am

Hi all...

From my reading on the topis of SDR, it would seem that the SDR# even though it may be one of the better programs, is cpu hungry from most reports, you should give the HDSDR a try or maybe one of the others. SDR# is not a problem on more modern computers, but on the older ones, they struggle.

John

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:28 am

Yep try the latest SDR#, they just updated it to make it run really well on older PCs. You might be in luck.