V3 dongle overheating?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
W8EIR

V3 dongle overheating?

Post by W8EIR » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:14 pm

I got my updated dongle yesterday, and started playing with it after the nightly honey do list was done ;-). Anyway, setting up SDR# I was astounded by the quality of the dongle on HF receive without having to use a upconverter as I have to use with my AirSpy Mini.

After about 30 minutes of just listening to ham and SWL bands, I went to disconnect the dongle, nearly burnt my fingers. This thing got extremely hot. My other dongle never got as hot as the V3 did last night.

Now I hoping I didn't scorch anything on the board. Has anyone else experienced any overheating issues with the V3?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: V3 dongle overheating?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:32 am

It does sound odd that it would get that hot. I'm guessing that there might be a small short somewhere causing excessive current draw.

Can you let us know what is your setup? e.g. USB cable, USB 2.0/3.0 port? Anything on the bias tee? Also contact us at rtlsdrblog_AT_gmail.com, and we'll probably send you a replacement to test with if there's no easily fixable solution.

W8EIR

Post by W8EIR » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Found my problem, seems the two four port USB hubs I am using are causing the V3 to over heat. I moved the V3 to my computer and unit is now much cooler, its warm, but not like it was the other day.

Both hubs are being powered by the PC instead of using its own power source which came with them. I will try using their PS's and see what that does. I am not using bias-T either.

Thanks for the help.

Dave W8EIR

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Thu May 31, 2018 1:48 am

I have had the same problem (this one I bought on ebay) anyway it ran hot for several weeks and then just died.. you could still hear some but not much and stations were in the wrong places (fm was on 27. something Mhz) (AM was on the FM freq) and so on ,, but reception was very, very poor if at all,, and no SW or infact anything else..
Does anyone think that it would do any good to remove cover?
Point a fan (small) at it?
Remove cover and point a fan?
or is this just a problem with some of them and you just have to wait for it to die and replace.
This has been pretty warm from day one and just kept getting worse..
These are questions for my new one(s) that are coming as replacement was free including shipping.. so I'm getting 2, one for back up..
Oh, not that I think that it matters but were running on Raspberry Pi B3+ , and B3. but tried on windows HDSDR (wow, what a difference from V-2 dongle !!

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 am

I have seen USB hub power supplies that output 5.3 - 5.5V, and that could be part of the reason, especially if the V3 uses an analog voltage regulator.

You can get a USB current and voltmeter for under $10 from eBay - a great tool to troubleshoot certain USB issues.

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:09 am

I have received 1 new dongle V-3, and it doesn't get very warm at all,, with that being said, it also doesn't pick up as many (or as clearly)stations anywhere on the dial. I'm a little miffed ! I have another one on order and should receive within a week.. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the two.

PS. yes I now about tester,, I do not think that it is a voltage problem, but Tnx for the suggestionCUL

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:13 am

What are you comparing the dongle against? Remember to play with the RF gain settings to optimize SNR.

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:23 am

I'm comparing them to each other.. as for the rest extra class ham AA0OI for somewhere around 20 years and USAF radio spy for 2 years. (6918 intelligence squadron) started at age 13 with radios (they were tubes back then) now into computers (I build my own) and just started with Lenux on Pi's b3 and a B3+ using GQRX(Lenux is tougher that I thought it would be, but hell I'm 66 years old)

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 am

What is the other dongle? I looked through your post history, and is it the one with the two SMA inputs? Was it the two input RTL-SDR box that died?

If you're comparing the two input RTL-SDR box, vs the V3 on HF, then note that the V3 has an extra amplifier in it which is designed to improve performance for people with weaker antennas. If you have a really good antenna, strong broadcast AM signals are more likely to overload the HF input of the V3, so in that case a filter is required.

luc4sss

Post by luc4sss » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:55 am

W8EIR wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:14 pm
After about 30 minutes of just listening to ham and SWL bands, I went to disconnect the dongle, nearly burnt my fingers. This thing got extremely hot. My other dongle never got as hot as the V3 did last night.
I got my V3 last week...
Same problem...the dongle became really hot (60/70°) after 10min of NOAA reception...
Defective dongle?