V3 dongle overheating?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: V3 dongle overheating?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:35 pm

It's normal to get hot, but if it's hot and disconnecting from the USB it is faulty.

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:27 am

the dongles I have are as follows
1. V1.5 , works very poorly (ok for what it is) only receives fm and some 27 mc stuff.. temp 71.2 F . I did this with led head sensor. This was my first dongle. DVB-T-FM+DAB (820t2 & SDR). No sw reception of am. or much of anything elsel
2. One that is size of pack of cigarettes V-2.0 Does not get hot at all in the box. Works fair for a V-2. This one has the two inputs on it + the USB. Still has problems, some sw on different bands, I wouldn't buy again.
3. I have 2 of these now and they are exactly the same V-3 RTL-SDR.com ,(rtl2832u r820t2 TCXO =Bias T +HF) temp on these run about the same 71 to 75 f.. Thes are the two I am comparing- just to each other.. to the others there is no comparison. I get just about everything from 500khz to 1.7Ghz. Main thing on all is antenna, antenna, antenna. The one I returned was 99.2 before it quit working.. But B4 it died it received better than either one of the other two.
Thanks for the offer for a new one but its not needed,, the seller on ebay returned and gave me a new one ( and I bought another one besides..
Voltage on the usb ports are all between 5.0 volts and 5.3 volts. don't believe that it constitutes to much voltage.. I use Raspberry Pi, b3 and Pi b3+ ,also use on 3 windows machines (temp stays the same)(reception is a little bit better- HDSDR and SDR#, the pi's use GQRX.. for what it is the GQRX and the pi's are a great set up.. volume is a little low so I added a stereo LVPIN (t-mart- for 11.99 - says 200 watt but I would say more like 20 watts,, works just great, have to buy a 12v 3 amp
wall adaptor. - also have to write a little code in Linux, to run GQRX (really not that hard, lots of info out there on how to do it)
USB 2.0, sometimes I use an extension for the usb,, it is 12" sometimes no,, doesn't seem to make a difference. do not believe it would work on usb 3.0 (but not sure,, don't want to toast a dongle just to find out),, Oh yeah, I don't use a hub for anything.
Just don't need it
If I missed anything let me know,, I'll try to find it.. I will let you know what the reading are on everything when I get some free time ( free time is like asking me if I don't pay any taxes, no time no free money !!)

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:06 am

Something new tonight my #2 dongle (I have labeled them 1 or 2 for the V-3) anyway #2 tonight has gone up in temp to 79 degrees... I ran it for 5 hrs yesterday and never went above 74 degrees,, I hope (will run tonight) that it isn't on it's way out.
Another thing that I have found out, that they get warmer when on FM in stereo. believe this is because of the 2 channels.
I am running both of these on Raspberry Pi's (#1 is on Pi B3 and #2 is on Pi B3+) #2 is still stable (freq off set) even thought its hotter.
Besides the am band I also find the am freq's scattered in the 27mc band (using GQRX and Pi) reading s-9 to 10 (adding "direct_samp=2")to the "configure I/o string" AND no FM at all ( or least I haven't found it yet,, but it ain't at home !!)
guess I forgot the temp ,, room runs between 68F and 74F pretty constant.
Here it is a few days later and temp in now around 72 and steady,, go figure.. cause I can't !!
Last edited by radiowaz on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:54 am

luc4sss wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:55 am
W8EIR wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:14 pm
After about 30 minutes of just listening to ham and SWL bands, I went to disconnect the dongle, nearly burnt my fingers. This thing got extremely hot. My other dongle never got as hot as the V3 did last night.
I got my V3 last week...
Same problem...the dongle became really hot (60/70°) after 10min of NOAA reception...
Defective dongle?
What's your ambient environment like? 60C is hotter than expected, but if it's in a warm environment then it might be normal. It's only faulty if it's drawing excessive current and/or is stopping and disconnecting from the USB after a few minutes of usage.

radiowaz

Post by radiowaz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:15 am

I don't really consider under 85 degrees to be very warm probably under 90 is still in the operating range, but I'm not really sure,, I never did a temp test on the first one,, just thought it was warmer than it should have been.. These two seem to be in the right range (for now) !!

luc4sss

Post by luc4sss » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:09 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:54 am
What's your ambient environment like? 60C is hotter than expected, but if it's in a warm environment then it might be normal. It's only faulty if it's drawing excessive current and/or is stopping and disconnecting from the USB after a few minutes of usage.
The ambient temperature is 24°...
I've add some heat sink to the metal case, and now the temperature is lower...
It's not disconnecting at the moment...

With ADS-B reception, it still at ambient temperature...

JEL

Post by JEL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 am

Remember that the burning sensation in your fingers can happen even if the temperature is not much higher than about 45C (About 113F)

It doesn't have to be much above body-temp before it feels very warm.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:06 am

JEL wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 am
Remember that the burning sensation in your fingers can happen even if the temperature is not much higher than about 45C (About 113F)

It doesn't have to be much above body-temp before it feels very warm.
Yes and the metal can quickly transfer the heat to colder skin, making it feel hotter than it would be in a plastic case at the same temperature.

Remon

Post by Remon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:42 pm

I have 3 RTL-TCP V3 dongles. They all become very hot during listening with high RF gain.