Anything New coming Down The SDR Pike?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
DC2DLSDR

Anything New coming Down The SDR Pike?

Post by DC2DLSDR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:55 am

Since wideband & HF box receivers have all been pretty much out of production except the new Alinco converted Ham radio DX-R8T & the way overpriced & long in the tooth AOR AR8600MKIIB & the die hard hold outs await the release of the Icom R8600 (which is a reboxed 7300) that's replacing the troublesome elitist grade R9500, Uniden's X36 series super scanners & now Whistlers TX series failures are totally out of the bag proving the usual suspect beta testers were in on it, anything between the Airspy & SDRPlay & the megabucks stand alone SDR's on the horizon?

Good to see the successes of SDR far outweigh the few failures that accompany the ever present growing pains of new technology for niche market consumer grade hobby.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Anything New coming Down The SDR Pike?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:09 am

LimeSDR is probably going to be the next big "experimenter" style SDR and i'm sure Airspy and SDRplay are both working on the next generation.

There's also the PatronX Titus II portable SDR, but i'm not sure if this is vaporware, or just slow to release.

AD5NL

Re: Anything New coming Down The SDR Pike?

Post by AD5NL » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:14 am

I don't usually go to the mega hamfests like Dayton (or even HamComm a few hours away in Dallas). But are Airspy and SDRPlay making appearances at those? (That seems to be the sign that you've "made it big" in the radio hobby). I do know that FlexRadio has been at pretty much every convention I've been to in Texas for five years now, and while their product is pretty cool it's hardly cutting-edge.

FWIW, there was a write-up about HackRF One in the January 2017 edition of QST (page 99). It only took them two years!!!