I'm Sticking To 88-108 MHz FM Broadcast Band For Now

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
DC2DLSDR

I'm Sticking To 88-108 MHz FM Broadcast Band For Now

Post by DC2DLSDR » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 am

This range of the spectrum seems to be the easiest for me to work with for now. I just need confirmation that my settings are the best bang for the buck to start so here goes.

Radio: Default
Audio: Default
AGC: Default
FFT Display: I clicked on Time markers
Audio Noise Reduction: Enabled
IF Noise Reduction: Default
Baseband Noise Blanker: Default
Demodulator Noise Blanker: Default
Recording: Default
Zoom FFT: IF, MPX & Audio Screens enabled
Band Plan: Enabled
Frequency Manager: Show On Spectrum

Right Side of Display: What exactly do these sliders control & what are each of their benefits?
Zoom:
Contrast:
Range:
Offset:

I am going to eventually connect this dongle to an external broadband FM broadcast dipole so should my coax cable be 50 ohm RG-8X with a BNC to F adapter at the antenna or 75 ohm RG-59U with an F to MCX adapter at the dongle?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: I'm Sticking To 88-108 MHz FM Broadcast Band For Now

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 am

For broadcast FM just make sure you've selected the WFM mode, and have the bandwidth large enough to cover the signal.

You probably don't need audio noise reduction for broadcast FM, but its up to you.

For the ones you don't know:

Zoom: Zooms into the spectrum. For example you might have some really narrow signals that you want to get a closer look at. Use the slider to zoom in.
Contrast: Just adjusts the waterfall contrast. Set it to whatever pleases your eyes the best, abd what ever allows you to see signals easiest.
Range: Adjusts the lower value in the Y-axis of the FFT graph.
Offset: Adjusts the upper value in the Y-axis of the FFT graph.

DC2DLSDR

Post by DC2DLSDR » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:12 pm

As usual you offer the best advice, thank you, just one more quickie, how can I watch the entire 88-108 MHz FM band spectrum which is a 20 MHz spread? Too much for my dongle? What would I need to upgrade to receive that much spectrum? Anything in the RTL store?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:29 am

20 MHz is still quite large to todays lower end SDRs. The RTL-SDR has 2.4 MHz max bandwidth stable. You can use something like rtl_power to quickly scan through larger chunks of spectrum, but it's only for generating a wideband waterfall scan, and not for actually listening.

The SDRplay and Airspy can go up to about 10 MHz. The HackRF can go up to 20 MHz, and the soon to be available LimeSDR should also be able to do 20 MHz. You'll need a powerful PC for higher bandwidths though.

DC2DLSDR

Post by DC2DLSDR » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:59 pm

One more question. How do I move from one end of the spectrum to another in a timely manner, right now If I'm listening to CB then want to listen to VHF fire I have to actually drag my mouse across the screen like a hundred times to get there. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks in advance & enjoy your weekend.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:15 am

You can just mouse scroll or click on the numbers at the top of SDR#.

SDR# also has a frequency manager plugin which is already built in, so you could just add your favorite frequencies to it, then just double click on one to instantly switch to it, and it will also instantly switch to the correct mode and bandwidth if you set it correctly in the frequency manager settings for each frequency.