decoding GFSK digital signals

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
daem0n

decoding GFSK digital signals

Post by daem0n » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Hello!

Can anybody suggest a suitable software (or plugin) capable of decoding GFSK signals?
I have RTL.SDL 0.1-1700MHz USB receiver and would like to decode short GFSK packets coming from temperature sensors @433Mhz.

I have SDR# and SDRConsole software. Is there an appropriate GFSK plugin for any them?

Thank you!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: decoding GFSK digital signals

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:01 pm

Have a look at rtl_433 on GitHub, this already supports a wide array of temperature sensors.

daem0n

Post by daem0n » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:14 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:Have a look at rtl_433 on GitHub, this already supports a wide array of temperature sensors.
Thank you rtlsdrblog!

I guess I have to install linux or run it in virtualbox or something. I tried to compile and install rtl_433 on cygwin64 but seem there are several dependencies to be compiled as well and some of them do not compile unfortunately. I was looking rather for a quick and dirty GFSK demodulation plugin which would decode signal on rtlsdr-capable software on windows. I have now SDR# and SDR Console v3. Is there any other software which may have such plugin?

Alternative solution I will try: I have FreeBSD machine right here. With rtl-sdr-20140210_10 package I might be able to tune rtlsdr dongle to required frequency and then simply record data into the file. Then with GNURadioCompanion I may decode data. The thing is that I need to "reverse engineer" data format from a a little bit special temperature sensor (I am not sure it has data format commonly used in other sensor). So, my task for now is to understand data format from a recorded file, I do not need to demodulate it in real time.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:00 am

A few people have been able to compile it on Windows with MingW before, e.g. https://cognito.me.uk/computers/rtl_433 ... ry-32-bit/.

Also if you go the route of building your own decoder on GNU Radio, check out the rtl_433 supported sensors list, and see if your device is already there. Then you could just look at the rtl_433 code for your device, and go from there.

vitoal-vx5

Post by vitoal-vx5 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Can someone post links to Amazon or eBay with known sub $30 temperature sensors that do work with rtl_433.

It sounded like rtf_433 originally supported ASK (OOK), but I guess it supports GFSK.

Would something like this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technolog ... ure+sensor