Not new to radio but new to sdr.

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
tryad

Not new to radio but new to sdr.

Post by tryad » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:46 am

Greetings everyone, I am tryad. I am running a 64 bit Acer notebook and I just put Gqrx and got it up and rumming monitoring smart meters very well. I am running detect and hold so far with no problems.

I did not join until I had got a system up and running on my own and could answer questions. I live in an apartment so I need to be creative in antennas . Now that I got Phase I & Phase II (a) done and running, its onto Phase II (b) and that will be capturing data and running through wireshark to see what I get.

I have all the merit badges: A+, Network+, Security+ and MSCE. After I retired I set up my small Club of Data Miners its a small group I will only have 5-6 members so meeting can accomplish something. I can' t see having 89,000 members and never meet each other on phone or video conferencing. My small group will and help each other with options to a problem.
Oh well the beat goes on...

Just wanted to Introduce my self.

tryad, CEO/Data Engineer
Tiberious Data Mining Div.

joe36

Re: Not new to radio but new to sdr.

Post by joe36 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 pm

welcome aboard!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Welcome to SDR and the forums!

tryad

Post by tryad » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 am

Greetings:

Well after some learning experiences and learning to do and what not to do or touch. I am finally in the intermediate stage of working with gqrx. With unbuntu I am receiving my target fantastic. The beacons on the satellites are good and usable. Now putting together a better antenna might help than a full wave 440 MHZ Omni is doing but it does work. Weak, but good for me.

I have learn that using both the DETECT & HOLD switches does cause it to hang up after about a half hour, but only using one at a time works very good. This works a lot better that what I was using gqrc on my android pad. It did work on the pad but batter on the computer. This is a 64 bit with 8 GB of memory but I am not sure if the gcrq was written for 64 bit.

Any one know?

tryad