rtl-sdr.com V2 direct sampling mode

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
chuckinnc

rtl-sdr.com V2 direct sampling mode

Post by chuckinnc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:07 pm

I must have older V2 model it does not support software only HF reception. I tried hardware conversion to pins 1 & 2 of rtl chip and get a little signal if SDR# is set to direct sample (I branch). Conversion says to set it to (Q branch) but I get no signal at all this way. Have I made the wrong connections? What is the difference between I and Q branch?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: rtl-sdr.com V2 direct sampling mode

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:01 am

Are you sure you're connecting to the correct pins? Set the software to Q-branch and touch a wire to the Q-branch pins (4&5) on the dongle. They're the only holes exposed near the RTL2832U chip.

I-branch is already used by the standard VHF/UHF mode. So ideally you'd use the unused Q-branch inputs for HF reception as then you don't loose VHF/UHF.

chuckinnc

Post by chuckinnc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks, the conversion I found said connect to the 2 capacitors in that row next to holes, I will try the holes and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:25 am

Might be an older discussion. Before those holes were there the only way to connect them was on the I branch via those capacitors, or do do some really difficult soldering and connect directly to the pins.