What SDR-RTL and Windows 10 s/w to capture streaming data?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
WB8SBI

What SDR-RTL and Windows 10 s/w to capture streaming data?

Post by WB8SBI » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 am

Hello all.

I am a new RTL-SDR user and would like to use it and the appropriate Windows s/w to capture raw wide band data and stream it to disk during the 21 August 2017 solar eclipse. My purpose is to be part of the study that Amateur (Ham) Radio operators in North America will be participating in to capture signals during the eclipse to help determine how it (the eclipse) will affect the ionosphere before, during, and after the event.

When I say capture raw data I mean just that. I would like to automatically scan the band from 100 khz to 100 Mhz, capture what ever signal is present at whatever frequency the dongle is at that moment either in the time or frequency domains, time stamp it, and stream it to disk. I do not want to decode / demodulate anything while capturing the data. That can be done later.

The ultimate goal is to give the researchers my data file along with the Windows s/w, the latitude / longitude where I will be, and let them go through the data picking out the desired signals / frequencies for analysis. They will do this by scanning through the data, extract all of the data at "frequency X", and then determine if the signal got weaker / stronger / stayed the same before / during / after the event. The ability to decode / demodulate a signal is a secondary "nice to have" ability.

By combining my data with the thousands of other reporting stations they can build up a database of what actually happened, compare it to what models predict will happen, and use it as the basis for further research.

Thank you.

jon

Re: What SDR-RTL and Windows 10 s/w to capture streaming dat

Post by jon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 am

WB8SBI wrote:Hello all.

I am a new RTL-SDR user and would like to use it and the appropriate Windows s/w to capture raw wide band data and stream it to disk during the 21 August 2017 solar eclipse. My purpose is to be part of the study that Amateur (Ham) Radio operators in North America will be participating in to capture signals during the eclipse to help determine how it (the eclipse) will affect the ionosphere before, during, and after the event.

When I say capture raw data I mean just that. I would like to automatically scan the band from 100 khz to 100 Mhz, capture what ever signal is present at whatever frequency the dongle is at that moment either in the time or frequency domains, time stamp it, and stream it to disk. I do not want to decode / demodulate anything while capturing the data. That can be done later.

The ultimate goal is to give the researchers my data file along with the Windows s/w, the latitude / longitude where I will be, and let them go through the data picking out the desired signals / frequencies for analysis. They will do this by scanning through the data, extract all of the data at "frequency X", and then determine if the signal got weaker / stronger / stayed the same before / during / after the event. The ability to decode / demodulate a signal is a secondary "nice to have" ability.

By combining my data with the thousands of other reporting stations they can build up a database of what actually happened, compare it to what models predict will happen, and use it as the basis for further research.

Thank you.
SDRuno supports the recording and playback of IQ files and you can even run multiple virtual receivers during playback. Some links to look at: http://www.sdrplay.com/RadioUserReview2016.pdf
http://www.radioforeveryone.com/2016/07 ... steps.html