SDR# scanner plugin

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
besomuk

SDR# scanner plugin

Post by besomuk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi,

I'm looking plugin for SDR# that can scan list of predefined frequencies. I didn't have any luck so far, so i hope you can point me the right way.
I'm using rtlssdr usb dongle....

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: SDR# scanner plugin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Frequency manager suite should be able to do this http://www.freqmgrsuite.com/

rocky28965

Post by rocky28965 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:27 pm

I realise I'm replying to an older post but was wondering how this worked out for you.
I would like to be able to scan with my RTL-SDR also.

W1ABA

Post by W1ABA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm

There are several youtube videos showing the scanner operation with the RTL-SDR. It DOESN'T WORK well, for technical reasons associated with the multiple pll design needed to change frequency over a wide frequency range. Each of the PLL's needs lock times and data transmission to the digital electronics is inhibited until both PLL's are locked.

Many hams use similar technology and note that even a small change in frequency 'skips', so even with a rotary encoder they can't tune the band without interruptions in the audio output of the RX.

Additionally, the number of milliseconds it takes to gather enough samples would also make a squelch very slow.

If the RTL-SDR had a DDS instead of a clock multiplier chip, it would be capable of large local oscillator excursions in just a few microseconds. They cost more $$ and the power they use is prohibitive.

1ABA

jevgienij

Post by jevgienij » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I'm using the scanner plugin from Frequency Manager Suite and it does work very well but not for long. It works for about a day, sometimes two, finding real frequencies but then something happens and it is still scanning but it doesn't find real frequencies anymore, it just finds static and garbage. To fix this I just have to unplug the device from a USB port, plug it again and the scanner will work again for another day or two. I have my dongle cooled really well so we can rule out overheating in this case.

W1ABA

Post by W1ABA » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:25 pm

IC!

I can't imagine the time to lock the clock multiplier PLL's would allow scanning at any decent rate. I have experience with clock multiplier based local oscillators connected to rotary encoders, allowing the user to 'tune' using the hand instead of the mouse. Even for frequency excursions of a few KHz, the audio output 'skips' and the OP needs to wait for the PLL to lock. My guess is that the RTL-SDR has dual clock multiplier VFO's, and both of them need to have locked PLL's to get a proper audio output.

GL.

BB

JEL

Post by JEL » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:20 am

I see this thread dates back to last year, with new comments added recently, so I guess it's in place to post the following here:

This scanner is superb in SDR# : http://rtl-sdr.ru/page/obnovlen-timeshift-i-scanner

Very fast and very flexible.

The wider your SDR-spectrum is, the faster it can scan.
Using the AirspyR2 I can scan the full aviation band (Civil and military) in under 0.5 seconds.