RFI shielded computer case

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
JTC

RFI shielded computer case

Post by JTC » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Hello, Does anyone know of any manufacturer that makes computer cases that focuses on RFI shielding? I'll make one if I have to, I learned everything about RFI shielding I need to know during my time in the U.S. Air Force, but if there is a company that manufactures them, I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for one. Preferably a full tower ATX configuration with space for internal cooling as well.

P-40 Warhawk

Re: RFI shielded computer case

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:53 pm

I put a ground rod out side my room were I keep the radio and the computer . Then I just grounded the computer case and other things .
The computer case is metal and that is a RFI shield . Many ham's have ground rods outside their radio rooms and all of their equipment is ground to them , they do use more that one ground rod . In all probability you will have the emissions coming through the key broad but more form the monitor . Led tv's make a lot of RFI .

JTC

Post by JTC » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 am

P-40, I realize that most cases are at least OK at blocking RFI, as they have to be FCC compliant, and the ground rod Idea is a good thought, unfortunately I live in an apartment building. The closest I can get to a true earth ground is the building's plumbing system. Although I'm thinking that the copper pipes in my building may also be functioning as an antenna and may be a source of significant noise. For me the best option may to be to seek out or build a more heavily shielded computer case.

P-40 Warhawk

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi JTC .
Copper and iron water pipes make for a really good ground but not a good antenna , also if you have hot water or steam heat , the pipes from that would make a good ground . Now for a antenna you could use copper tape for a decorative border for wall , ceiling . You can get the tape from ebay . Also it comes in different width's witch can give you more surface area than wire . Using cardboard as a backing you can try different antenna configurations . Is that you Jeremy Cortez . It's me Robert in Pensacola .
Last edited by P-40 Warhawk on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username

Post by Username » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 pm

OMG here in good old Europe there must be a Ground in every Apartment. :shock:

Away from that in theory no Pc, Laptop, Display,... could sold here because the have to be test for RF Noise.
That mean every Pc who have an different HDD for example had to test again. :lol: That would cost Thousands of € and would take up to 1Year (becouse the dont test immediately after receive it).