Do I need a coverter?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
jcraver

Do I need a coverter?

Post by jcraver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:14 am

This is the device I have do I need to add a converter in order to receive HF signals???

tim_rtd

Re: Do I need a coverter?

Post by tim_rtd » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 am

If you can get it to work at all..the answer is no.....but may help. I hope this helps :>} .....the antenna in the picture is useless for HF

jcraver

Post by jcraver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:15 pm

tim_rtd wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 am
If you can get it to work at all..the answer is no.....but may help. I hope this helps :>} .....the antenna in the picture is useless for HF
It works fine on VHF/UHF but I get nothing on HF. I am not using the antenna in the picture I have a dipole antenna outside that I use on my regular HF receiver so I know its not an antenna issue.

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:32 pm

I haven't played the direct sampling lately which I believe that thing is using when in HF mode but I remember some complaining of poor reception. So, make sure whatever app your using that its in direct sample I or Q.... NOT in Quadrature.
In direct sampling you don't need any lo shift of 120Mhz/ 125 Mhz.

If you still can't receive anything than Yes.....get a converter and use the UHF antenna connection in quadrature mode and remember everything is shifted up 120/125 MHZ. Depending on which converter you buy.

Frankly.....just get one of Newelects V3 dongles while your at it..