Multiple tuning knobs

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Imagewerx

Multiple tuning knobs

Post by Imagewerx » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:24 pm

I have been playing with an RTL-SDR dongle for some time now and use it mainly for VHF airband.

I'm using SDR# as an interface and a Griffin Powermate as a tuning control. The Powermate is brilliant for this but isn't 100% reliable.I've configured it using the app to work as a mouse scroll wheel,but it doesn't always respond unless I click on the app even though the scroll wheel is working ok.Then of course if I inadvertantly have the mouse pointer over something else and use the Powermate it will change it and not the frequency.

Is it possible to have it working with a dual concentric rotary encoder such as they use on real two-way aircraft radios? Or can I somehow get a second Powermate with one configured to do 1 Mhz steps and the second one in what ever step I choose,i.e. 25 KHz,12.5 Khz,8.33 KHz etc etc? I prefer the old fashioned practice of manual tuning instead of letting it scan automatically,with maybe even a third rotary control so I can quickly change tuning increments without having to use the PC screen.

The eventual plan is to build a self contained unit based around a cheap Android tablet and the above manual tuning controls,but with the option of using it as a scanner when needed.

Imagewerx

Re: Multiple tuning knobs

Post by Imagewerx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 am

Any thoughts on this please anyone?

phil

Post by phil » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:09 am

Best i can come up with is this from a while back: https://19max63.wordpress.com/2016/05/1 ... b-for-sdr/

Imagewerx

Post by Imagewerx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Thanks Phil,I'll give that a go.