starter guides/primers?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
proplane64

starter guides/primers?

Post by proplane64 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:27 am

bought an rtl sdr dongle. have been enjoying experimentation. however - im stuck at understanding how to use the software. each software's documentation refers to VFO, LO, etc. - things I don't understand. can anyone recommend a starter guide to all of these terms? or, better yet - a guide on how to use the software that also explains to a more beginner level? Thank you in advance.

hotpaw2

Re: starter guides/primers?

Post by hotpaw2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Better starter guides are needed not just for beginners, but for all users. I have an engineering degree and an amateur radio license, and I still found a lot of the SDR software documentation and tutorials very confusing at first.

Worse yet, I need to write some basic SDR user documentation, and can't figure out how to do any better.

My current solution (for my iOS SDR app) is to just hide almost all the controls except for an on/off switch, and tuning and volume "knobs", to make using it more like a simple ancient vacuum tube radio. At least at first.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:55 pm

It's very difficult to teach RF and ele. engineering basics all in one go. There's a lot of material.

But I'll try work on a super-beginners tutorial post in the next few weeks.

w5dxp

Post by w5dxp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Amateur radio is a great hobby and aids in understanding things like SDR. SDR radio beginners and ham radio beginners have a lot of problems in common and lots of hams use SDRs for their radio receivers. So allow me to recommend some of the material available through the ARRL, an organization dedicated to amateur radio(not to be confused with CB radio). Take a look at the books they offer.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/What-s-New/