Recommendation for USB SDR dongle decoding for RF remotes?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
dachshund-digital

Recommendation for USB SDR dongle decoding for RF remotes?

Post by dachshund-digital » Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 am

Recommendation for USB SDR dongle decoding for RF remotes? I need to decode remotes in 300 MHz to 433 MHz range, greater is fine, but that is the core range. I want to replace all my various home RF remotes I have in the home. Thus I need SDR that has TX and RX features, ASK and FSK minimum.

Looks like the Yard Stick can do this but it is not true SDR right? So the more I read the more I wonder what I should get to just do signal decoding and encoding? Appreciate any recommendations anyone might want to suggest?

I plan to use my PC (Windows 10 or Debian 9 Stretch) to do the decoding and then Raspberry Pi (and Arduino) for encoding, transmission.

HobbyMan

Re: Recommendation for USB SDR dongle decoding for RF remotes?

Post by HobbyMan » Wed May 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Have you looked at the Hack RF? https://greatscottgadgets.com/hackrf/
You can find it on Amazon

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu May 10, 2018 2:30 am

Yardstick One could do it, but yes it's not an SDR at all. It's just a hardware radio with some preprogrammed modulations and encoding modes in it that can be controlled by a PC. Makes reverse engineering easier in some cases.

If you're on a budget and the HackRF costs too much to dedicate to this, you could just use an RTL-SDR and the new Osmo-FL2K adapters for TXing. Although you'll certainly want to build a decent filter on the FL2K dongles before running them long term.

Username

Post by Username » Thu May 10, 2018 7:12 am

Please note quite every Remote Controll use something who called "Rolling Codes" that mean the send out and different Key everytime you Push the Button.

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 pm

For a simple 433 Mhz radio control (without rolling codes), you can use a Raspberry pi with a set of rf433 modules (less than 2 euros from Aliexpress). You copy the code once with the receiver and then you can resend it with the transmitter. You can install a simple webserver on the raspberry pi to control things from your phone. It works with my radio controlled sockets and a radio controlled relay switch to control the central heating.
You can also copy the signal from a 433 Mhz remote control with a RTL-SDR dongle and resend it with rpitx.

Regards,
James.