V3 warms up even when computer is shut down

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Bouchu

V3 warms up even when computer is shut down

Post by Bouchu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:22 pm

I just received my V3 dongle, and plugged it into a desktop computer I use for SDR reception.

I know the dongle gets hot when in use, but what is odd is that it also stays warm when the computer is shut down - the dongle never cools down to room temperature unless unplugged.

I have tested this several times by unplugging the dongle and allowing it to cool down and then re-plugging it into a USB 3.0 port while keeping the computer shut down. The dongle becomes noticeably warmer (although not as hot as when in use)! What could be the cause?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: V3 warms up even when computer is shut down

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Do you happen to have a USB current meter handy?

Most SDR programs don't properly put the dongle into sleep mode after closing. But disconnecting and reconnecting it should put it into a low power mode where it draws about 100 mA.

Even at 100mA, if you're in a warm ambient environment the dongle could still get a little warm when not in use.

Bouchu

Post by Bouchu » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks, I'll try unplugging and reinserting the dongle after shutting down SDR#.

Airwind

Post by Airwind » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Wow. Those 100 mA seems a bit much for the low-power mode. I just tested mine with a USB power meter by only plugging it in without any software running, and it indeed drained about 120 mA of current (that's 600 mW). I wouldn't exactly call this low power.

EDIT: For comparison, the old classic rtl-sdr dongle from ebay draws about 100 mA while a Yardstick One from Great Scott Gadgets doesn't draw any noticeable current at all. A HackRF will draw about 150 mA in idle mode.

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 am

USB ports should be off (no power to them) when the computer is shut down, so I find this a little (?!) strange, to say the least. If it plugged into a powered hub, the hub may still have power regardless of the PC, and if he PC is only sleeping, USB ports are usually powered. But I have yet to see a computer that has powered USB ports while it's truly off. (not they can't exist, but they most certainly not commonplace)

What computer do you have?

JEL

Post by JEL » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:30 pm

I believe it's pretty normal for USB's to keep power ON even when the PC is shut-down.

There's a setting in Windows and/or BIOS (You'd have to google for 'selective suspend' or 'USB power after shutdown', or something along those lines, to find more info on it than I know from memory) where you can switch it ON or OFF.

As far as I know it's so you can use USB-equipment to boot the PC automatically. And perhaps also so phones can charge over-night even the PC is not running.

The Airspy I have connected to Windows 10 gets warm even when the PC is shut-down.
Not as warm as when it's running, but definitely warm.

The USB mouse I use also, sometimes, keeps its LED light ON when the PC is shut-down (As with all things 'Windows' it's not always perfectly stable :) )

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:33 am

Methinks it's definitely not normal, and I just tested 4 PCs and none of them have USB power when they are shut down.

I guess that could be a new feature I was not aware of. Another possibility is that the shutdown state was only hibernate, not a true shutdown which may very well be the case with Win 10.

What PC do you have that keeps USB power on?

JEL

Post by JEL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:14 am

aurgathor wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:33 am
What PC do you have that keeps USB power on?
Assuming the Q is for me; I have a windows10 ASUS.

I do believe windows10 does indeed use some kind of 'always on' (Under the hood, so to speak) in order to be able to boot fast.

But in the windows settings I noticed that USB are always ON.
I never changed the setting, since I haven't had any bad side-effects from it.

Destinea1

Post by Destinea1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:21 pm

USB power has always been default to be off when the computer is shut down.

I've never encountered a computer so far that has them on. What's the model of your PC/Laptop?
Last edited by Destinea1 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

JEL

Post by JEL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am

Destinea1 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:21 pm
USB power has always been default to be off when the computer is shut down.

I've never encountered a computer so far that has them on. What's the model of your PC/Laptop?
Assuming this was for me.

I use a so-called 'gamer-pc' set to 'high performance'.
Maybe that's what keeps USB active.
I don't know what computers generally default to.