RTL newbie seeks help with panadapter project

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
k3wyc

RTL newbie seeks help with panadapter project

Post by k3wyc » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:55 pm

I expect this has been asked before so please point me to the answer if you know where to find it.

I recently completed building a kit that mounts the guts of an RTL2832 based dongle into a mother board and allows it to be used for both HF and V/UHF reception. I wired the HF input balun to pins 1 and 2 of the RTL chip. I've been using it with ADSB# which requires selection of "Direct sampling (I branch)" for HF, and selection of "Quadrature sampling" for V/UHF. It seems to be working quite well.

My plan is to use the kit as a panadapter for my TS-590S. This requires CAT control which ADSB# does not appear to support.

I have installed HDSDR and an RTL support DLL. This works for V/UHF but I cannot find any option to select "Direct sampling (I branch)" which I assume I have to do to make it work on HF.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to make HDSDR work with my device for HF?

Otherwise, can someone point me to a different SDR application that will support both ""Direct sampling (I branch)"" and CAT control.

Thanks for any help.

Andy k3wyc

k3wyc

Re: RTL newbie seeks help with panadapter project

Post by k3wyc » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 pm

I found the required selection under the HDSDR EXTIO button.

I have found that HDSDR has strong images of stations that do not appear when using SDR#. For example last evening I was listening to Radio New Zealand at 14.080 AM. This station could not be heard or seen at 14.080 with SDR# or with my TS-590S. The actual broadcast frequency of Radio New Zealand is 15.720 MHz.

Unless I can eliminate the images seen with HDSDR it will not be useful as a panadapter. Anyone know if these is any setting that I may have missed.

Thanks,
Andy

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: RTL newbie seeks help with panadapter project

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:19 am

If you're seeing images it might indicate that your gain is set too high. Try turn it down in the HDSDR ExtIO settings.