Successeur du RTL blog v3

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Capricorne68

Successeur du RTL blog v3

Post by Capricorne68 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Good evening ' I ask myself some questions with regard to(compared with) the successor of v3, will have t he(it) still R 820 T2 There? Embarked filters? A selectable LNA by software? Thank you for an answer

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Successeur du RTL blog v3

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 am

At the moment we're not planning any upgrades to the V3, as I believe it's already at the peak of how good a low cost RTL-SDR can be.

For LNAs, these really need to be external to the dongle since it's best to get them close to the antenna as possible. Built in LNAs are never as good and often make things much worse.

Filters should also be external so you can choose to put them before or after the LNA depending on your RF environment.

Our philosophy is: spend your money on the antenna side components (antenna, LNA, filters), and use cheap receivers like the RTL-SDR. Most of the RF performance comes form the antenna side, so that's the most important part.

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello,

In a nutshell, what does an 'expensive' sdr do compared to a 'cheap' one? Does it receive weaker signals, is the sound quality better.
For example, on the hdsdr website, it says don't expect wonders from the rtlsdr v3 dongle (http://www.hdsdr.de/hardware.html).
I'm using the rtlsdr v3 dongle, an FM trap filter, an lna4all and a centerfire deluxe discone in the attic and l'm having great fun with it! I'm a bit disappointed with the direct sampling mode, but I think it's because I haven't got a suitable antenna (no results with a long wire in the attic). If I want to listen to HF, I use a websdr.
What do you get more with a sdr worth over a hundred dollars? Is it worth investing in an airspy mini or an rsp1a for example?
I'm waiting for your thoughts.
Regards,
James

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:42 am

The two main things that expensive SDRs do is wide bandwidth, and high bit depth ADCs.

Wider bandwidth = More frequencies on the screen at once

High bit depth ADCs = Better ability to handle strong signals, and can receive weak signals easier in the presence of strong signals.

James_from_France

Post by James_from_France » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:10 am

Hello,

Thanks for your quick answer. For the price, I think that I'll stay with the RTLSDR V3 dongle. More bandwdith would be nice but is it worth the price of 5 RTLSDR V3 dongles ?!
As I've already said, I'm having lots of fun with my cheap dongle (AIS, ACARS, ADS-B, NOAA, Inmarsat, RTL_433, weather balloons,and so on)

Regards,

James

Totoche95

Post by Totoche95 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello,

I experimented a solution to receive weak signals in presense of strong signal, without increasing ADC bit number. It is to clip the signal before conversion with a hardware tuneable clipper. So the strong signal will looks as square wave on screen but the weak signal wil use all the 8 bits conversion.
But without doing anything, i can hear ham radio on 7 to 7.2 Mhz just near the strong 7.3 to 8 Mhz broadcasting radio, and with a good tuned/amplified antenna the reception is good, with just some noise.

An other thing for improvement is to have easy access to I and Q entry for those who want to make an I/Q chopper separation themselve.

Cheers and 73 from France
Yves