Rtl_Power scan for intermittent signals

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
gldr

Rtl_Power scan for intermittent signals

Post by gldr » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:32 am

Like title says, I want to do a Rtl_Power scan for intermittent signals, excluding continuous sources of power.

Can this be done in some way ?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Rtl_Power scan for intermittent signals

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:11 pm

I don't know of any way to exclude continuous signals from a scan. But why do you want to do this? Can't you just see in the waterfall heatmap which signals are continuous and which are intermittent?

gldr

Post by gldr » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:31 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:I don't know of any way to exclude continuous signals from a scan. But why do you want to do this? Can't you just see in the waterfall heatmap which signals are continuous and which are intermittent?
The waterfall heatmap contains too much sources of power because I need to make a scan of the whole range of frequencies supported by my Rtl-Sdr device, so I was looking for a better way to include only the needed signals.

For example, I single 433mhz remote control command (or any other frequency) may be difficult to find on a waterfall heatmap with a time span of 24 hours.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:19 am

You could probably just post process the data before creating the heatmap. E.g. zero the powers of any frequencies that have a total power over some threshold X over the entire scanned time frame.

Of if you're only wanting to scan a small 2 MHz bandwidth overnight then look into the frequency metrics SDR# plugin at http://www.sdrsharpplugins.com/.