I need help with Meteor capturing

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
ZL2BMH

I need help with Meteor capturing

Post by ZL2BMH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:56 am

Hello All.
I have been downloading and capturing the NOAA satellites with my RTL-SDR v3 dongle and QHA antenna. The antenna/Dongle works great.
I would now like to move on and try my hand at capturing Meteor M2. I have no idea where to start. I tried video's and the net but I'm not sure if what I am watching/reading are out of date now.

Could someone please start me off in the right direction.

I would be so grateful. Many thanks.
Jim.

jeffreypkelly

Re: I need help with Meteor capturing

Post by jeffreypkelly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:54 pm

This is a very easy autocapture system to run on RPI or TInkerBoard (my preference).
https://github.com/gvandela/MeteorRpiReceiver

Allows auto capture and can email images to you.
I have tweaked mine to upload to gdrive as well.

Jeff
K2SDR

Learjet

Post by Learjet » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 am

How did you go? Did you get it working?

I have images with SDR-Sharp with QPSK plugin and LRPTonlinedecoder.

ZL2BMH

Post by ZL2BMH » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:35 am

Dear Jeffery.

First of all my apologies for taking so long to reply. There's no excuse I can give. But just say how sorry I am.

Shortly after you wrote your reply I did what you explained and the result was outstanding. I happened to run into another person who helped me. Now, a very fine gentleman ( Les Hamilton) has introduced another way, to decode, so the improvements keep occurring in all parts of the program.

Thank you, I appreciate your help very much indeed.
Jim

mgamber

Post by mgamber » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 am

It's not helping that NOAA 18 is a half tick away from the Meteor satellite these days with a much stronger signal, on nearly the same frequency, and with very inferior imagery. A few weeks ago I was able to capture Meteor images from Florida to Canada. Now I'm lucky to get anything directly overhead. A week ago it looked like they were finally separating and now NOAA 18 is completely interfering with it again. Can't that antique just die, already?