Nooelec SDR not receiving AM

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Tom41

Nooelec SDR not receiving AM

Post by Tom41 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:37 pm

I am fairly new to the world of SDR, having received the Nooelec NESDR with Ham it Up as a Christmas present. The SDR works fine with FM stations and Air band, but even through the upconverter I cannot hear or see anything that looks like an AM broadcast.

I have rigged up a twin-wire antenna using the balun but that does not show anything more than the straight antenna that came with the dongle. What concerns me is that I cannot even pick up the local broadcast AM stations with this device even if I enter the correct frequency manually.

As a Mac user, I don't have access to programs like SDR# and WinRad, but use a program called GQRX that gives many of the same features as SDR#. The fact that I'm not getting normal AM broadcasts suggests that some settings are wrong in the software. Is there anything you guys can recommend that might help?

Things I have already tried:
Swapping I/Q
Entering -125MHz frequency offset

tim_rtd

Re: Nooelec SDR not receiving AM

Post by tim_rtd » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:35 pm

I don't remember about not seeing the AM on the spectrum, But I will tell you for sure that I could not hear AM on my GQRX unless I ran the volks_profile routine. I experienced this twice.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:07 am

Have you applied power to the ham-it-up? Might be a dumb question, but this has come up several times in the past.

RCND

Post by RCND » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 am

Hello:

As tim_rtd said run the volk_profile.

I had the same problem with Gqrx on my Raspberry Pi, that did the trick.

Robert
Last edited by RCND on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom41

Post by Tom41 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 pm

I don't think the Mac version has the 'volks_profile' thing that you keep mentioning. Today I was able to receive some AM broadcasts, but something odd happened. After restarting the program one time, I heard TalkSport on 1089khz (according to car radio) but it was showing up as 1160khz on the waterfall - an 80khz shift! What's even stranger is that I restarted the program yet again, and suddenly all the AM broadcast stations showed up in their proper place without me changing a single setting! So I know it CAN receive the AM broadcast band (and presumably shortwave too) but it's not always lined up with the actual frequencies...

RCND

Post by RCND » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Hello:

I am not familiar with Mac. That said the volk_profile should be part of the Gqrx program.

Go to your command terminal and just type volk_profile. It should start running, it takes a while to complete.

Robert