I'm impressed

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
mgamber

I'm impressed

Post by mgamber » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:35 am

I bought the dongle kit off of Amazon and had it within a few days. Sitting next to me is a Yaesu FT-847 (been a licensed amateur longer than I care to admit) and for actually communicating, it's great. But when it comes to trying to decode NOAA satellites and the like, it's not so hot because of the narrow IF. Lately NOAA 15 hasn't been sounding so hot even with a close pass and the beam pointed right at it. I plugged the device into the computer, went through the driver stuff and started SDR# and WXtoImg and wow, what a difference! Without a preamp I can catch NOAA 18 and 19 from horizon to horizon (below Cuba to mid Ontario) and 15 is actually working great. All the enhancements in WXtoImg work, too! Found myself playing around with all kinds of VHF/UHF/SHF stuff using either my beam or the tiny dipole that came with the unit and then hooked up a 40m dipole through an antenna tuner and had no problem getting tons of HF signals. I figured you get what you pay for and I certainly didn't pay much for this (compared to the FT-847, anyway) so I wasn't expecting much but it blows me away how sensitive it is on it's own, never mind the preamp.