OTA TV

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
BobhallKN4QKV

OTA TV

Post by BobhallKN4QKV » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Does anyone know what settings you would use on SDR# to listen to broadcast tv stations? What mode even AM FM...?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: OTA TV

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 am

Are we talking digital or older analog TV here? You can't really 'listen' to broadcast TV, you need to demodulate it into an image. Older analog TV signals had a wideband FM audio signal near it however.

The RTL-SDR in SDR mode doesn't have enough bandwidth to cover the width of either analog or digital. But of course the RTL-SDR was originally a DVB-T dongle, so if you install the older drivers and use DVB-T software you can watch TV with it. (It won't work in the USA as they use ATSC, not DVB-T).

Also if you're in a country that still has analog TV, you can look up a program called TV Sharp that can demod some of the analog signal even with lower bandwidths.

BobhallKN4QKV

Post by BobhallKN4QKV » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm

thank you for your response and information I didn't realize it had changed to that point and I just remember as a kid being able to listen to broadcast TV on the old shortwave radios.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:11 am

Yep that was the old analog TV. It had the image signal plus a separate audio signal that could be listened to.

snn47

analogue TV

Post by snn47 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 am

I just remember as a kid being able to listen to broadcast TV on the old shortwave radios.
shortwave receiver by definition receive at max. 30 MHz and not higher while TV-channel 2 or higher channel started in the VHF low band (Band I) between 54 and 88 MHz, so I wonder how you could receive audio from TV stations.

If you still have analogue TV or HAM Radio Amateur TV with FM-mono sound you may be able to receive the audio signals,

Short try to explain why I said may:
Analogue TV reception and the TV-norms used differs(7ed) from country to country. The norm defines how Black/White (BW) picture and later the additional color information is combined into one "AM" signal. Note: While BW picture will differ and most receiver could display all BW signals at degraded quality.

With colour TV additional color information had to be added using additional analogue modulations and reference signals. While video was a AM mix of several analogue signals and carriers the stereo/mono sound is FM and seperate from the ""AM" video. The FM-mono-sound varies/-ed with TV-norm used, and was ~4.5 MHz, 5.5. MHz or 6.5 MHz if I remember correctly above the video signal. With stereo and text added it is a mix of several signals too.
Unlike written before a dongle would not have to decode the video signal and just decode the audio.

BobhallKN4QKV

Post by BobhallKN4QKV » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:34 am

It was a radio that had multiple bands one was AM and shortwave, then it had one that was a little higher, then FM then one that had higher range with tv and aircraft hard to remember exactly how it was broke down I just remember the radio.

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:40 am

Analog channels 1 - 6 were in the 44 MHz to 88 MHz range, well within the capabilities of older analog radios, although with the exception of Ch6 (87.75 MHz) and maybe Ch5 (81.75 MHz) they were likely to be outside of the tuning range of usual FM radios, unless they were using the OIRT band (65.8 MHz - 74.0 MHz), or were dual, OIRT/CCIR band radios.

Of course special purpose or amateur radios could cover just about any reasonable frequency band even back then.

snn47

SW Definitions

Post by snn47 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 am

Shortwave definitions vary slightly between ITU regions between 1.6 to 1.8 MHz up to 30 MHz see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_radio

While TV channel 1 existed in the beginning, most TV Turner in the past 50 years tuned only between channel 2 to 13, and did not provide means for tuning to channel 1. WIth CATV and use of analogue and digital TV norms (meaning e.g. D2MAC and not todays DVB-x modulation) thigs became more complicated.

Until the 6 m was opened HAM SW receiver covered at best 160 m to 10 m, but never above 30 MHz (e.g. Drake or Heathkit, Yeasu, Kennwood ...).

buterkin

Post by buterkin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Is there any other free service I can use after cutting my cable. Currently, I'm streaming Live Channels on Pluto TV and BBC player after cutting the cord.,