Help Picking Up Baby Monitor

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
n8rockerasu

Help Picking Up Baby Monitor

Post by n8rockerasu » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:39 am

Hey guys, I'm totally new to the RTL-SDR world...but I purchased my RTL2832U unit with the main purpose of having a way to route the audio from my daughter's baby monitor to my PC headset while I'm working on my computer.

The monitor says it's 900Mhz, and mentions nothing about any digital encryption, so I thought this seemed possible. It has 3 channels (labeled A, B, and C). It does have a camera, which transmits video/audio to a screen in my bedroom, but it has a separate audio unit which just picked up the audio (the battery in that unit has since died...which exasperates my need to get this solution to work).

In case it's helpful at all, here's a link to the exact monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Nig ... ht+monitor

I've got SDR# running just fine and I've been able to pick up normal FM radio broadcasts and the NOAA weather station, so it seems like I've got it working right.

I've found some peaking signals around 900Mhz (using NFM band), but nothing that came through as the monitor (some are just silent, some are various beeps which I assume are other electronic devices). I'm not sure if I've got a filter setting wrong or what, but anybody who could maybe give some advice or point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Help Picking Up Baby Monitor

Post by rtlsdrblog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:27 am

Hey, filter settings are probably not the problem.

Is the device analog or digital? If the audio is digital you won't be able to easily decode the signal using NFM, even if it isn't encrypted. One of those various beeps may be the digital audio signal. Looking at the product description, it does mention the word digital under "Additional product features". It it is digital, it will be hard to decode as you will need to determine the digital protocol and codec used and find or write your own decoder for it.

Try turning the monitor on and off whilst looking at the spectrum around 900 MHz to see if a signal appears or disappears to see which signal is the baby monitor.

Check around 900 MHz signal too, usually for analog the video is transmitted on one frequency, and then the audio is transmitted a at few MHz higher.

Mikonos

Post by Mikonos » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:52 pm

I have the same one. Turns out its digital and is 915 MHz to 921 MHz. Have you had any luck? I am interested in being able to check on our kids while I'm on the computer!

davidbrucs

Post by davidbrucs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:35 pm

We have a Motorola video monitor and I do like the video function.It's like night vision, so you do see relativey well even with blackout blinds and/or curtains. We have bought a sound only one we're planning on putting in our toddler's room when baby goes in by himself, and move the video monitor for peace of mind being able to see him. Our toddler is very good a night (or was until I just jinxed it!) so the video for him isn't very necessary. The main thing I would say I would 100% want in any monitor is the ability to talk to them through it, as it's been invaluable in settling the toddler when he just needs some reassurance.

Username

Post by Username » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Dont klick on the Link the the common Aff Link! :evil:
If I would be the Admin I would ban everyone immediately who post an Amazon Link!

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 am

Username wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm
Dont klick on the Link the the common Aff Link! :evil:
If I would be the Admin I would ban everyone immediately who post an Amazon Link!
I don't think it's an affiliate link. We use Amazon affiliate links on our store so I know that affiliate links always have a "tag" portion to the URL. If that's missing the link is clean.

Username

Post by Username » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

ref=sr_1_10

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:49 pm

The ref= part is actually part of the normal Amazon URL. It's a bit confusing.

Affiliate links use "tag=AFFILIATE_ID"