Yard Stick One - RF Transmitter Raspberry PI

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
_Caco_

Yard Stick One - RF Transmitter Raspberry PI

Post by _Caco_ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 am

I want to replicate fixed key fob codes with a portable device so I can use it instead.
I have a RTL-SDR dongle (820T2) for the analysis of the signal.
For the transmission of the RF signal:
Do I need to buy the Yard Stick One (or similar)? Can this be performed instead with a RF Transmitter + Raspberry PI?

Thanks!

Airwind

Re: Yard Stick One - RF Transmitter Raspberry PI

Post by Airwind » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 am

You can probably buy some cheap transmitter module of a given frequency on ebay and drive them with a RPi/Arduino GPIO pin. You will however need to write or get some software or script that will handle the pin output to generate the required signal. For 433,92 MHz there are plenty of cheap modules available to buy. I think there are some for 315 MHz and 868 MHz, but other frequencies are more rare. However take care because these modules use static and unchangeable frequency. You won't be able to use them for devices that receive in the transmitting frequency range i.e. 433 to 435 MHz.

Unlike the cheaper modules, Yardstick One is actually a quite decent device that will let you receive as well as transmit on different frequencies (300-348 MHz, 391-464 MHz, and 782-928 MHz). It can be easily programmed, controlled and automated from a Python script. It's a nifty little gadget and it is way more powerful than those cheap TX modules, but it also costs more. It's also not exactly a fully fledged SDR like a rtl-sdr. I personally own one and I think its a useful tool for any RF researcher or enthusiast.

I would recommend you get a YS1 for learning, research and testing (meaning if you need to use the different features it offers). But for a device that will only perform a single function you'll want something cheaper since you don't really need all those features for a simple transmitter.

James_from_France

Re: Yard Stick One - RF Transmitter Raspberry PI

Post by James_from_France » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Hello,

You could try rpitx.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rpitx-v2-releas ... pberry-pi/

Regards,

James.