Question about BIAS-TEE in V3

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
bar182

Question about BIAS-TEE in V3

Post by bar182 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Hello,
i have a working setup at home with a splitter that from the antenna cable to a splitter one side goes to Uniden scanner and the other to a V3 SDR (feeding FR24), i bought the RTL-SDR ADSB LNA and I wonder if I will connect it and turn on the BIAS-TEE will it harm the Uniden scanner? (the voltage).
All the setup is RX only no TX at all.

Thanks, Bar

alanzfq

Re: Question about BIAS-TEE in V3

Post by alanzfq » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:44 am

The splitter will need to pass the DC without attenuation.
But for safety you need to isolate the Uniden with a capacitor.
Alan

P-40 Warhawk

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi ,
I would go with RF switches , that way the DC voltage goes were you want it to go and not were you don't want it to go . Also you would lose 4 DB on each output with a splitter .
Now if you are using 50 ohm cable than you can get the switches from www.dxengineering.com/ and http://www.mfjenterprises.com/ . If your using 75 Ohm cable than go to www.summitsource.com . I use 75 ohm cable and I have three antennas , so I use a switch that has three inputs one output , and it can be use the other way , one input , three outputs .

bar182

Post by bar182 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:42 pm

P-40 Warhawk wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:01 pm
Hi ,
I would go with RF switches , that way the DC voltage goes were you want it to go and not were you don't want it to go . Also you would lose 4 DB on each output with a splitter .
Now if you are using 50 ohm cable than you can get the switches from www.dxengineering.com/ and http://www.mfjenterprises.com/ . If your using 75 Ohm cable than go to www.summitsource.com . I use 75 ohm cable and I have three antennas , so I use a switch that has three inputs one output , and it can be use the other way , one input , three outputs .
But if i am using the switch i won’t be able to use both devices at same time, because only one is connected to the antenna at a given time. Correct?

P-40 Warhawk

Post by P-40 Warhawk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:17 pm

YouR right .
In your case I don't how to advise you . Now the places that I gave you to checkout also have splitter's , maybe you can find something that would be of help . Good Luck . HO buy the way Their is a splitter that has one side that can carry a DC voltage and the other side blocks DC , would find it in the satellite equipment department.

Corrosive

Post by Corrosive » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Just buy a stand alone bias-t and inject voltage after the splitter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bias-Tee-Wideb ... SwFy5bWIxN

Bought one of those for china and works fine for my needs.