Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
chus.carsonaudio
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by chus.carsonaudio » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello very good, I am spanish...I am new to the forum but I have been using rtl-sdr with Touctone in windows10 for some time. Now I have changed to Mac and I am trying to find how to install the rtl-sdr drivers on Mac to work with touchtone ...
Can someone from the forum help me ???? Tell me where to look for information ????

Thank you

Chus

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 am

Does Touchstone even have a Mac version? I don't use Macs, but usually the driver is included with the program. Try installing GQRX and CubicSDR and see if they work.

Aussie Susan
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by Aussie Susan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:57 am

I'm a bit confused by your question - the RTL devices can be used on a Mac very easily and there are many descriptions on the net as to how to do this.
Drivers are generally only needed to provide a way for applications to talk to hardware devices so, given the above, that problem has already been solved.
From what I read after a quick search on the Internet, Touchstone is an app and it looks like they only produce a Windows version. If that is the case then you have several options on the Mac:
- run windows in a VM on the Mac (Parallels and VMWare are examples) - these cost money but they let you run Windows apps that can access the hardware on a Mac and also povide ablities like cut-and-paste between the OSs, acess to the other OS's drives etc.
- try something like WINE - this provides an API the windows app can use without the overhead of the VM but there are many limitations
- use Bootcamp to create a Windows partition on the Mac - you get a complete Windows environment but, unlike the VM option above, you cannot get easy simultaneous iterations between the Windows and the Mac environments (you need to boot from one environment to the other)
Susan

hotpaw2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by hotpaw2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Never heard of "Touctone", but there are lots of "drivers" (actually libraries) for RTL devices that run on macOS. If you don't want to compile your own librtlsdr library using Xcode tools, you can use the ones built into Gqrx, or these pre-built ones for macOS from a UC Berkeley DSP course site: https://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee123/fa12/rtl_sdr.html

chus.carsonaudio
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by chus.carsonaudio » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:50 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 am
Does Touchstone even have a Mac version? I don't use Macs, but usually the driver is included with the program. Try installing GQRX and CubicSDR and see if they work.
Yes, touchstone has a version for MAc. GQRX if it works ... but not with touchtone .... In windows you have to install the ZADIG folder ....
Thanks for answering
Chus

chus.carsonaudio
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by chus.carsonaudio » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Aussie Susan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:57 am
I'm a bit confused by your question - the RTL devices can be used on a Mac very easily and there are many descriptions on the net as to how to do this.
Drivers are generally only needed to provide a way for applications to talk to hardware devices so, given the above, that problem has already been solved.
From what I read after a quick search on the Internet, Touchstone is an app and it looks like they only produce a Windows version. If that is the case then you have several options on the Mac:
- run windows in a VM on the Mac (Parallels and VMWare are examples) - these cost money but they let you run Windows apps that can access the hardware on a Mac and also povide ablities like cut-and-paste between the OSs, acess to the other OS's drives etc.
- try something like WINE - this provides an API the windows app can use without the overhead of the VM but there are many limitations
- use Bootcamp to create a Windows partition on the Mac - you get a complete Windows environment but, unlike the VM option above, you cannot get easy simultaneous iterations between the Windows and the Mac environments (you need to boot from one environment to the other)
Susan

Thanks for answering Susan .... I have parallels .... the problem is that when making a new windows on the mac I was asking for a new license ... and I decided to do it on Mac ... I like it more than windows ...... but in mac I do not recognize the rtl .... not at least as in windows .... I installed wine bottle .... it serves to open windows .exe files in mac .... The HSDR does work but I can not install the RTL interface list like in this video .... I'll leave it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-aM7nIQ7PU

chus.carsonaudio
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by chus.carsonaudio » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 pm

hotpaw2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 pm
Never heard of "Touctone", but there are lots of "drivers" (actually libraries) for RTL devices that run on macOS. If you don't want to compile your own librtlsdr library using Xcode tools, you can use the ones built into Gqrx, or these pre-built ones for macOS from a UC Berkeley DSP course site: https://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee123/fa12/rtl_sdr.html
Thank you very much for answering hotpaw 2 .... Yes touchstone goes great to analyze the spectrum ... I use it hour with RF explorer as interface for my RF analysis for Shure and Sennheiser ...

http://rfexplorer.com/touchstone/

chus

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Is there any way to contact the dev of Touchstone after you purchased it? Would probably be best to ask him directly.

Possibly it connects to the RTL-SDR via an rtl_tcp server?

chus.carsonaudio
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by chus.carsonaudio » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:49 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 pm
Is there any way to contact the dev of Touchstone after you purchased it? Would probably be best to ask him directly.

Possibly it connects to the RTL-SDR via an rtl_tcp server?
I already sent the question ... but they did not answer ... I'm going to try what Hot Pwa2 says ... I think the thing is there ... that's what it takes ... I'm going to try it and I tell you ...

chus.carsonaudio
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Install drivers RTL-SDR on MAC HIg Sierra

Post by chus.carsonaudio » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm

hotpaw2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 pm
Never heard of "Touctone", but there are lots of "drivers" (actually libraries) for RTL devices that run on macOS. If you don't want to compile your own librtlsdr library using Xcode tools, you can use the ones built into Gqrx, or these pre-built ones for macOS from a UC Berkeley DSP course site: https://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee123/fa12/rtl_sdr.html
[/quote
how do i create the directory on mac ????

Post Reply