Max Volume

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
njrusty

Re: Max Volume

Post by njrusty » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 am

Only mute that has any effect is in my sound bar/speaker in lower right corner of desktop. That zeros out all sounds. I can take all sliders in SDR and take them to zero yet I still have signal (see attachment). Although in this attachment the 'gear' slider is not at zero but makes no difference, moving this slider does not change the signal at all. Of course the moment I captured the screenshot, indicator is showing a decent number but immediately afterward the signal range jumps to 90-100 which is typical of my settings.
Desktop.jpg
Desktop.jpg (497.85 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

njrusty

Post by njrusty » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:29 am

Screen.jpg
Screen.jpg (524.88 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Screen capture of pass this morning. Granted it was only a 35 degree pass but wouldn't matter if it was an overhead, same results. Also, I basically had the same setup last month. Perfect images from NOAA birds and was getting great Meteor images except when she flew directly overhead, then the remainder of that pass would be black. I then took my v-dipole and added 2 more dipoles facing the north directions. I tied the 2 east dipoles together and 2 west dipoles together but was not getting any images. Now, when I configured my system back to just 2 dipoles facing south, I am getting this. I have a 2nd SDR and switch them but no difference. Weird I cannot get back to my original setup and getting images from almost 5 degree elevation.

tim_rtd

Post by tim_rtd » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:23 pm

I really don't think this has anything to do with your antennas. I think your audio setup has issues. Like some mixing.
With your wx app running in manual record mode. Shut down the sdr# app ....If your wx app is showing audio volume your having VB sound issues. That's probably all I can help. You can get the VAC app with a few lines free.

rjmura

Post by rjmura » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 am

you may have inadvertently created a ground loop and induced 60 Hz power into the system. try disconnecting the ground to the shield.

i need to crank up the volume all the way in sdr# for a green signal of 75% in wxtoimg. if i lower the volume in sdr#, the level in wxtoimg also drops up to the point that i get only noise in wxtoimg.

am also using a v-dipole, and get fairly good pictures, except for a deep null at about 25 deg elevation.

Username

Post by Username » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:10 am

I know the "bug". When I crank the volume up on a AM Signal the beginn to jitter and turn off.
Why? I dont know but it happen.