New dongles have metal case?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
RyanThaDude

New dongles have metal case?

Post by RyanThaDude » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:36 am

I see that in the store the new dongles have a metal case. Is there a chance that we can get those cases for our older dongles? I just bought two about a month ago from Amazon before they were sold out.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: New dongles have metal case?

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:07 am

Yes we're still working on that option, unfortunately for several reasons its proving a little more difficult to just sell the cases by themselves. I'm aiming to have them on sale in January at some point, and I think they can be sold for a nice low price (especially if untracked shipping is used).

Also, in this new batch we had to increase the size of the PCB slightly to incorporate ground tracks on the edges, for improved conductivity to the case. These side tracks improve noise performance. This means that the older PCBs may fit a little loosely inside the case and of course won't have the improved ground conduction.

I hope you won't be too disappointed that we brought out newer units after you bought yours. In order to keep improving these units and bringing new features we need to order in large batches, each batch usually having some small improvement from the last.

PhaseII

Post by PhaseII » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:30 am

The new case looks great! Very happy to hear that it also includes better grounding as well as a thermal pad.

Will there be a price increase now that the dongles come standard with the aluminum case?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:55 am

No price increase is planned. We were able to get these cases made for a good price which doesn't increase our total costs too much.

RyanThaDude

Post by RyanThaDude » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:08 am

I agree, they do look great! Disappointed? Not at all. New year, new model, much like everything else. The two I have work excellent but some extra shielding would be nice for them, though. I might later down the road buy a few more of the newer models. You can never have enough, especially at these prices! Are there any other changes to the newer model other than the aluminum case?

PhaseII

Post by PhaseII » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:14 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:No price increase is planned. We were able to get these cases made for a good price which doesn't increase our total costs too much.
You guys are the best. I just ordered two of them from China, can't wait to get them. Everything shipping now has the aluminum case, I won't wind up with some old stock with the plastic case, correct?

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:17 am

PhaseII wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:No price increase is planned. We were able to get these cases made for a good price which doesn't increase our total costs too much.
You guys are the best. I just ordered two of them from China, can't wait to get them. Everything shipping now has the aluminum case, I won't wind up with some old stock with the plastic case, correct?
Thanks! Yep everything shipping now is new stock.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 am

RyanThaDude wrote:I agree, they do look great! Disappointed? Not at all. New year, new model, much like everything else. The two I have work excellent but some extra shielding would be nice for them, though. I might later down the road buy a few more of the newer models. You can never have enough, especially at these prices! Are there any other changes to the newer model other than the aluminum case?
The only other changes are the addition of the side ground tracks, the addition of the thermal pad, and a slightly higher quality SMA connector which is soldered on both sides of the pcb now.

PhaseII

Post by PhaseII » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:13 pm

rtlsdrblog wrote:...and a slightly higher quality SMA connector which is soldered on both sides of the pcb now.
I noticed that as well, and while I haven't had any issues with the original design, it was apparent that a little too much torque while tightening could result in the connector snapping off the board. Definitely some significant improvements with the updated design. Kudos to you guys for continuing to improve the product, all while keeping it at the same low price.

You really ought to publish a new blog post announcing these changes. I subscribe to the RSS feed of your blog, and had been waiting to see something about the aluminum case. It was only after I checked to see if they were back in stock at Amazon that I noticed the updated photos, which brought me back here to see what was going on. I know that you updated the RTL-SDR Store page with the info about the aluminum case, but that would never show up in the RSS feed, nor was there any mention of the grounding rails or improved SMA connector.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:41 pm

PhaseII wrote:
rtlsdrblog wrote:...and a slightly higher quality SMA connector which is soldered on both sides of the pcb now.
I noticed that as well, and while I haven't had any issues with the original design, it was apparent that a little too much torque while tightening could result in the connector snapping off the board. Definitely some significant improvements with the updated design. Kudos to you guys for continuing to improve the product, all while keeping it at the same low price.

You really ought to publish a new blog post announcing these changes. I subscribe to the RSS feed of your blog, and had been waiting to see something about the aluminum case. It was only after I checked to see if they were back in stock at Amazon that I noticed the updated photos, which brought me back here to see what was going on. I know that you updated the RTL-SDR Store page with the info about the aluminum case, but that would never show up in the RSS feed, nor was there any mention of the grounding rails or improved SMA connector.
We will probably do a blog post in the next few days. We just updated the photos today and we're just waiting until Amazon receives our new stock before doing the post. Looks like word already got out though!