New dongles have metal case?

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
PhaseII

Re: New dongles have metal case?

Post by PhaseII » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 pm

My new dongles arrived yesterday. The aluminum case is good looking, well built, and the dongles feel much sturdier now.

So far the correction offset on both is holding very steady at -2.0ppm after 12 straight hours of the dongles decoding trunked systems with Unitrunker. In fact, it was -2.0ppm stone cold, and has not drifted one bit since coming up to full operating temperature. I wonder if this can be attributed to the fact that there is better heat dissipation, now that the combination of the thermal pad and aluminum case provides some passive cooling by acting as a heat sink. I guess we'll have to observe over the next few weeks whether there is any change to the offset as they "break in".

For those curious about the weight difference, of course the aluminum case adds some mass, but it's negligible. 17g (0.6oz) in the plastic case, 29g (1.0oz) in the aluminum case. Remember also that the new version's PCB is ever so slightly wider to accommodate the ground traces, it features a fairly thick thermal pad that covers almost the entire bottom of the PCB, and the SMA connector is now soldered on both sides. All of that plus the case itself accounts for the added weight.

I'm giving the new design two thumbs up. These are now far and away the best choice among any of the lower priced budget RTL dongles being sold. Great job!
Attachments
DSC01955-1280.jpg
DSC01955-1280.jpg (171.97 KiB) Viewed 17272 times
DSC01956-1280.jpg
DSC01956-1280.jpg (143.44 KiB) Viewed 17272 times
DSC01957-1280.jpg
DSC01957-1280.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 17272 times

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks for mini review, I worked hard to get these changes and improvements of the ground, so i'm glad to hear that you like them.

The thermal pad/passive cooling should definitely help with stability. Combined with the TCXO it should mean even greater stability.

By the way for those wondering, the Amazon units should be in soon...DHL completely messed up our shipment causing extra delays on top of the already slow customs entry, and then there was a fire at the transit warehouse we use causing the parcel to be redirected, but it's almost all sorted...

rob12770

Post by rob12770 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:00 am

TBH got new metal RTL SDR this morning .. sadly can't say i see any performance improvements over my old one..more accurate ..? and Maybe a lower noise floor.. yes but .. still WAY to many 3rd harmonics everywhere .. needs proper filters :roll:

UPDATE
after proper testing, i conclude this RTL SDR is indeed an improvement ..lower noise floor and better accuracy..means noticeably clearer signals :P

gerryk

Post by gerryk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:49 am

I added a nut & washer to the SMA connector... could there be any negative issues with this? Is the case supposed to be at ground potential or floating?
Mechanically, it seems pretty solid as it pulls the circuit & internal body of the SMA connector up against the end-plate, thus making the metal body load bearing rather than the solder joints.

gerryk

Post by gerryk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:54 am

rob12770 wrote:TBH got new metal RTL SDR this morning .. sadly can't say i see any performance improvements over my old one..more accurate ..? and Maybe a lower noise floor.. yes but .. still WAY to many 3rd harmonics everywhere .. needs proper filters :roll:

UPDATE
after proper testing, i conclude this RTL SDR is indeed an improvement ..lower noise floor and better accuracy..means noticeably clearer signals :P
In general, receiver sensitivity is not the limiting factor, SNR is. You could have the most sensitive receiver in the world, but if the noise-floor of the device itself is high, weak signals will be swamped.
I have some incredibly sensitive receivers, and I very rarely have a situation where clear-band performance is the issue, it's usually local noise or interference or strong adjacent signals causing desense.

Danansmith

Post by Danansmith » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:59 am

New situation looks great! Very happy to hear .Now I want to know the software dog and aluminum alloy shell standard there will be a rise in price?

rob12770

Post by rob12770 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:11 am

gerryk wrote:
rob12770 wrote:TBH got new metal RTL SDR this morning .. sadly can't say i see any performance improvements over my old one..more accurate ..? and Maybe a lower noise floor.. yes but .. still WAY to many 3rd harmonics everywhere .. needs proper filters :roll:

UPDATE
In general, receiver sensitivity is not the limiting factor, SNR is. You could have the most sensitive receiver in the world, but if the noise-floor of the device itself is high, weak signals will be swamped.
I have some incredibly sensitive receivers, and I very rarely have a situation where clear-band performance is the issue, it's usually local noise or interference or strong adjacent signals causing desense.
well that's the problem with ANY wideband receiver i suppose ..

CS223

Post by CS223 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:39 am

I bought a metal case to replace the plastic one on my older stick. Does the white led serve any purpose or could it be desoldered? The new metal cased sticks don't have them.

osramrtlsdr

Post by osramrtlsdr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

CS223 wrote:I bought a metal case to replace the plastic one on my older stick. Does the white led serve any purpose or could it be desoldered? The new metal cased sticks don't have them.
It is safe to kill the led. Can you post a link to your metal case?

CS223

Post by CS223 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm

If you go to www.rtl-SDR.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles you'll find the metal cases for$4.95 shipped.