OTA on DVB-C with RTL-SDR

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
y0r

OTA on DVB-C with RTL-SDR

Post by y0r » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering if it's possible to capture firmware which is sent via OTA on DVB-C frequencies with the USB stick. Sometimes receiver firmware is not public and updates are only possible through OTA. But it would be nice to have those as file without reading the flash with a programmer... :lol:
But I just can find information about sniffing GSM.

:wq!
y0r

Username

Re: OTA on DVB-C with RTL-SDR

Post by Username » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:13 am

So the use DVB-C ?
Why not use a DVB-C Hardware?

y0r

Post by y0r » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:35 pm

You mean DVB-C PCI card? Of course I could do that. But for this I have to set up a desktop PC with the PCI card...I thought it would be easier to use the USB stick on my working Linux notebook.

Username

Post by Username » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:53 pm

You can get an normal USB DVB-C Dongle.
Sadly I dont know a Software who could do this. I know there is a Software for DVB-S Signal Hunting with a Sat Dish.

Search for Datastream.
For example I found this from the Austrian Site: https://www.wko.at/site/cable-days/vort ... ischer.pdf

I would NOT use a SDR for because there is a propper Hardware for and Software.
Demodulate such Stream would take a lot of CPU Power.

y0r

Post by y0r » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:14 pm

>You can get an normal USB DVB-C Dongle.
Well, I thought this kind of dongles are regular SDR devices!? (no hardware decoder)

>I know there is a Software for DVB-S Signal Hunting with a Sat Dish
Can you tell me the name of the software? Maybe this could help to look around further.

snn47

DVB-C or DVB-C2, encrypted or free?

Post by snn47 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 am

@y0r
-Do you have DVB-C or DVB-C2?
-Did you check if your DVB-C signals are encrypted? If they are encrypted than you need also a way to decrypt the signals

General questions out of curiosity:
- Are DVB-C(2) modulation parameter the same all over the world, or do they differ from region to region or at worst country to country? I assume they are in line with local DVB-T(2) modulations.

Which modulations and variations of parameter are used for DVB-C compared to DVB-S(2) and DVB-T(2)? Wikipedia provides general information, but I found not source to verify local defintions.

Could the data stream not be grabbed somehow from a TV or add-on receiver specified for local use for DVB-C(2)?

Username

Post by Username » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am

If they are encrypted than you need also a way to decrypt the signals
The are that good Encrypt you will never decrypt them.

snn47

Post by snn47 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:47 am

Username wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am
If they are encrypted than you need also a way to decrypt the signals
The are that good Encrypt you will never decrypt them.
Currently maybee, but even unbreakable encryptions (since Enigma) have always been broken if there was an interest in dooing so.

Username

Post by Username » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Sure but nower Days with the Modules I never heard about ANY Hack or what ever to get a Workaround.
Maybe in the US or other Country the Encryption is weak but the German Speaking Channel use a Encryption who to my knowledge nobody hacked them now.

y0r

Post by y0r » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:18 pm

AFAIK DVB-C2 is not used in Germany, yet.

The TV channels which are used for the software update are not encrypted. But I don't know if you need to have a smartcard from the provider to get access to the software. My old Humax iHD-Fox C is not updating on this channels. But I only tried without SC. Maybe I could get a card for testing purposes. If it's updating then it's mostly like encrypted.