AM frequency help with rtl-sdr USB

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
aurgathor

Re: AM frequency help with rtl-sdr USB

Post by aurgathor » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 pm

K3RLD wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:39 pm
As long as the FM broadcast stations have a significantly higher signal level (and chances are that's the case) you're DOA without some filtering or down conversion.
I listen to airband all the time with no LNA and no FM bandstop filter. I'm not saying that it can't kill his reception (it definitely could), all I'm saying is your statement is not a definative.
I don't disagree -- it's not definitive, but it's really strange that he's close to an airport, and yet there's nothing.

Maybe he should also need to post what's on the FM bands -- see if there is a strong FM station there.

Username

Post by Username » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:25 pm

:roll: Crap Dongle + very Crappy Antenna = no Signal
Maybe he dont know how to use SDR# and dont Adjust Gain, and the thinks on the Right Side who I dont know how the called.

alyousufi

Post by alyousufi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:03 am

Username wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:29 pm
Depend o n the Gain it will help.
Do you also buy the LNA who I posted the link to?
Really No.

alyousufi

Post by alyousufi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:09 am

Username wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:25 pm
:roll: Crap Dongle + very Crappy Antenna = no Signal
Maybe he dont know how to use SDR# and dont Adjust Gain, and the thinks on the Right Side who I dont know how the called.
Yes i think the dongle is not good that I have it's not V3 , so at the moment I am waiting the new Antenna hopefully to work well.

For the SDR# maybe you are right I don't have an experience to use it I a trying to hear but nothing.

😊

aurgathor

Post by aurgathor » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:15 am

alyousufi wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:09 am
Yes i think the dongle is not good that I have it's not V3 , so at the moment I am waiting the new Antenna hopefully to work well.

For the SDR# maybe you are right I don't have an experience to use it I a trying to hear but nothing.
If you have a usual telescoping antenna, that should work fine and you change its length to match the frequency you are trying to receive.

If you have a laptop (or can borrow one) try to take your setup as close as you can to the airport's antenna -- that should ensure that hopefully those airband signals will be strongest. Thing is. even with a really cheap dongle, if you can receive FM broadcast, you should be able to receive airband as long as the airband signals are not dwarfed by some FM signal.

Another possible option would be a narrow-band, directional antenna (ie. Yagi) but getting closer to the airport's antenna probably should be cheaper and simpler.