Problem in project 24/7 with RTL-SDR v3

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Bastian Soto

Problem in project 24/7 with RTL-SDR v3

Post by Bastian Soto » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Hello again my friends.

I have a project to put an online communications center (only for listening), many told me to use a cheap radio (baofeng, tyt, etc ...) but I decided to go for SDR technology (now somewhat regretful of the decision) the thing is that I need to keep listening to a frequency 157.xxx Mhz and redirect the audio to Zello ...
It should be mentioned that the system must be 24/7/365
The first problem I have encountered is that the SDR after a while of operation begins to sound strange, has a delay, the squelch is slower, the frequency is changed and the robotic voice is heard sometimes ... I do not know if it will be a problem of hardware or software, but the sharp SDR freezes sometimes, I was using the minimum sampling (I think it was 0.25 MS/s) apparently it was equally installable ... now I work with 2.4 MS/s and lasted for a day without having a failure...
The other is the excess temperature of the device, it gets very hot, I don't know if that will be very bad, I will install a small fan to try to cool it...

Timpanogos Slim

Re: Problem in project 24/7 with RTL-SDR v3

Post by Timpanogos Slim » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:35 am

I've never tried to monitor one frequency for that long so I don't have any direct experience, but sdrsharp is a lot of software for such a mundane task.

I would have tried to use one of the command-line tools like rtl_fm

Username

Post by Username » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:36 pm

My W7 machine run 24/7 and that work perfect.

hotpaw2

Post by hotpaw2 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:24 am

rtl_fm will run on a Raspberry Pi 24/7 with very little CPU load. But you might want to put a heat sink on the RTL-SDR, plus possibly run a fan nearby, depending on ambient temperatures and air flow.

Timpanogos Slim

Post by Timpanogos Slim » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:58 am

hotpaw2 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:24 am
rtl_fm will run on a Raspberry Pi 24/7 with very little CPU load. But you might want to put a heat sink on the RTL-SDR, plus possibly run a fan nearby, depending on ambient temperatures and air flow.
I haven't noticed either of my rtl sdrs running significantly hot. I have an old e4000 based dvb-t stick and a v3 stick bought from amazon. I am a little curious about what makes them run hot.

But yeah, even a raspberry pi zero would be plenty.