Alibaba

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
pe1chl

Alibaba

Post by pe1chl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:06 am

Is there any possibility or planning that the Chinese RTL-SDR store will sell through the Alibaba/Aliexpress
system in the future? I prefer that over PayPal.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Alibaba

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:33 am

Maybe, but we would need to sell for a higher price there due to their fees. What's wrong with PayPal or credit card? PayPal gives you the same sort of refund protection as aliexpress does.

pe1chl

Post by pe1chl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:00 pm

I don't like their system of having to create an account that will be attached to a credit card and have all
kinds of terms I need to study, and the risk that it could be hacked.
Aliexpress directly transfers from my creditcard.

I buy lots of things via them that cost nearly nothing, I always wonder how a $10-$20 item can be bought
there including all the overhead and free shipping from China, while shipping a package to the next
city here costs at least $8, but I have no insight in the cost structure...

We like to buy a couple of those sticks for our WebSDR but I'm sure there will be someone else in
our repeater team who has a PayPal account so it will be no real problem.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:26 pm

You don't actually need a PayPal account. You can simply just use your credit card without making an account. Most countries support that option.

Shipping out of China is cheap because the govt subsidises it.

pe1chl

Post by pe1chl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 am

rtlsdrblog wrote:You don't actually need a PayPal account. You can simply just use your credit card without making an account. Most countries support that option.
This is a somewhat widespread misunderstanding under receiving users of the PayPal system. I got the same reply from two other parties (not shops, but also receivers of money).
They probably never see this issue themselves because they already had a PayPal account themselves before they decided to use PayPal as a creditcard handler.
You can transfer money using a credit card, but to do so you must first create a PayPal account, and agree to a long terms of use document that
defines the jurisdiction etc. I am not going to create an account that qualifies as an American bank account on my name, thank you.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Hmm what country are you in? I just tested credit card checkout in incognito mode (no PayPal logged in) on the store and it worked as a simple credit card processor just fine (just like authorize.net or any other online credit card processor does) without needing to create a PayPal account. The feature to checkout by credit card without an account definitely exists.

I know that PayPal does not support this mode in all countries though. On the screenshot attached do you see the option I highlighted?
Attachments
pp_checkout.png
pp_checkout.png (12.49 KiB) Viewed 10851 times

pe1chl

Post by pe1chl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:05 pm

I'm in Netherlands.
The checkout does not show that option, instead that second option shows a form where I have to create a PayPal account to be able to proceed.

charcbait

Post by charcbait » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:22 pm

I feel your pain. Long ago I made three eBay purchases using PayPal, and was defrauded by two out of the three sellers. One item ($300) was never sent, and the other ($300) was knowingly defective. The first seller hung up on me immediately when I phoned, never to respond again. The other told me he had paid to have the item tested and was told it worked. Well, the power LED lit, but that's all. I shipped the defective unit back to him at my expense, but he blocked my calls and didn't refund my money. Both sellers had hugely positive satisfaction ratios.

I presented the issue to eBay, who told me to apply to PayPal. PayPal told me to go fly a kite. I went back to eBay, who told me likewise. That was around the time PayPal bought eBay, or vice-versa. Not surprising, really...they make their money off seller fees--they couldn't care less about purchasers.

I told my banker, BofA, of the problem, and they promptly slapped PayPal/eBay, took my money back from them and returned it to me with apologies.

Ever since then I have shunned PayPal/eBay completely, viewing them as dishonest and criminal. I'm sure I've missed a deal or two on eBay, and turned down desired items online where PayPal was the only option, but I feel obliged to boycott them for their dishonourable behaviour. Nobody else I know has lost at the PayPal/eBay game.

pe1chl

Post by pe1chl » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 am

Well today I again tried to place an order and the situation is still the same: the PayPal payment lets
you first select between "login" and "pay as a guest", then when selecting that it presents a form where
the card details and shipping address can be entered, a section that looks optional to "create a paypal
account for extra security", but when that is not filled (including agreeing with PayPal terms and conditions)
the transaction cannot go through.

I find it misleading. The option "pay as a guest" is in fact a signup to the PayPal system.
My problem is not that I distrust the seller, I distrust PayPal. I don't want a PayPal account and I
certainly do not want to be lured into creating one.

joe36

Post by joe36 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm

I purchase several dozen items from AliExpress a year. I was once contacted by what looked to be a legitimate AliExpress sight that wanted documents that would have delivered my I.D. and bank account on a platter. After not responding to this sight under the threat of a lifetime ban. Nothing happened and business as usual for my orders.
One bit of advice is to buy and use Visa Gift cards. This does not expose your bank account to possible fraud. I usually buy a card for the amount of the purchase plus $10 $20 just to be used with AliExpress. The little bit extra on the card, is used for the $1 $2 items that you will eventually want for the parts box.

I have received around 95% of what I have ordered. The other %5 was refunded after a long time wait. The moral of the story is. You are buying from them and don’t have to give anything more than a delivery address and never use a credit card that has more than you are willing to loose.

Joe kA9UCN