My Nephew Broke my RTL-SDR

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
RTLFreak101

My Nephew Broke my RTL-SDR

Post by RTLFreak101 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:19 pm

My Nephew Broke By RTL-SDR 2 TIMES

My Nephew always does this stuff and makes me really mad! Please help me my nephew broke my rtl-sdr when I was putting it near my windows, then I got my computer and he broke it. I tried to rewire it and we used tape. Now we moved and he pulled on it while I had the cord through the window onto a pole.

Please Help Me.

Here are some photos.

(Link should by Mediafire)
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/1ehgv3n ... 720-161650

Airwind

Re: My Nephew Broke my RTL-SDR

Post by Airwind » Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 am

Okay I gotta admit I laughed a bit while reading this thread.

First of all, some of your images are really poor quality and I had some trouble piecing together what actually happened. By the looks of it, the antenna pole was knocked over and the coax cable was broken (torn off from the dipole element?). Second, your rtl-sdr unit seems fine. The SMA connector is still present, there's cable attached to it and I can't see any lasting damage being done to the device.

In that case, why not manually solder the coax back? Or maybe you could take this opportunity to build your own custom DIY antenna for the rtl-sdr. The coax cable really is the cheap part of your setup so it isn't that big of a deal, it's just a minor inconvenience of having to do some repair work. The important part is being that your dongle is still intact.