Basic mobile set-up for AM radio

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Branchy

Basic mobile set-up for AM radio

Post by Branchy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Hello all,

I'm a self confessed newbie and I'm researching the simplest way to achieve a very specific goal:

I want to listen to 909 KHz (an AM Radio station in the UK) when hiking in remote areas (i.e. no internet available).

Therefore the solution must be lightweight and portable.

My current understanding after a few hours of research starting from scratch is I can use my android phone plus an RTL-SDR via USB coupled with either a long line antenna (can I just lay this on the ground?) OR mag loop antenna (not sure which is best or how to connect).

So far I am considering the NESDR SMArTee v2 plus Ham It Up Nano connected to a NooElec balun One Nine connected to either 78.334 metres of speaker cable (! Not practical and would have to lay on ground so probably not optimal either) OR what seems a more practical solution, a mag loop antenna e.g. AN200? Not sure how to connect a mag loop antenna to this set up, so would need advice there.

Hoping to find some old hands to guide me in the right direction on how you'd set up this yourself if you were in the same situation?

Many thanks,
Dan

alanzfq

Re: Basic mobile set-up for AM radio

Post by alanzfq » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:28 am

Dan,
Why not a small MW portable with a ferrite rod incorporated?
Or a wire could be coupled to the rod if signals were weak by making a few turns round it. Possibly just round the radio?
I'd think anything other than a wire antenna would be impractical when hiking.
A RTL v3 should work with a wire, depends how you manage battery charging.
Alan