RTL-SDR Problems

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
sabrams

RTL-SDR Problems

Post by sabrams » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:15 pm

I purchased my RTL-SDR dongle on February 2nd through Amazon, to run with HDSDR on an iMac. I also purchased a half-wave J-Pole VHF/UHF antenna to mount outdoors. Everything has worked great since purchase, with no problems setting up. I've been getting great reception.
All of a sudden today, no signals, just noise. I've tried the dongle on a different computer - same thing. No signals, just noise. I know these things are really cheap, but I would still expect a lifespan longer than six-weeks.
Anyone have any thoughts or observations?

sabrams

Re: RTL-SDR Problems

Post by sabrams » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Bump
By the way, I have received no response from the company. Imagine my surprise ;)
If anyone has any suggestions for a more reliable SDR, at a reasonable price, please feel free to offer suggestions.

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Post by rtlsdrblog » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Give us a chance to reply first! :) We just received your email a few hours ago, and usually we go through our emails once or twice per day, usually in the evening.

My theory is that it could have been blown by a large ESD discharge, loose solder joint, or other internal problem. Usually we'd send you a replacement, but we're out of stock at the moment so if you'd like send through your order details in the email and I can put through a refund.

All RTL-SDR dongles brands are nearly identical on the inside. Ours have the TCXO, bias tee and metal case which sets them apart from the rest.

If you're looking for the next step up from the RTL-SDR then i'd suggest looking into the SDRplay RSP ($149USD) or Airspy ($199). We did a review of those products here: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/review-airspy-vs ... vs-hackrf/

sabrams

Post by sabrams » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Just want to let everyone know that Carl has been in touch with me, and has offered to replace the dongle.
In the meantime, I will do some homework and look for an upgraded SDR on the RTL-SDR site, as Carl has suggested.
I'm very impressed with the customer service, and willingness to make things right. I will definitely make all my future SDR-related purchases through this site.
Sorry that the second post was a little "pointed". It was born of frustration, after spending a few hours trying to figure out why the dongle stopped working.