How to develop own software for scanning frequencies and checking for radio activity

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
johna

How to develop own software for scanning frequencies and checking for radio activity

Post by johna » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 pm

HI, I'm completely new to SDR and want to help someone with a project that involves checking for nearby activity on a range of frequencies.

Ideally I want to write my own application that does what is needed. I work professionally as a programmer (although for the web) so have some idea of that side of it, just no idea about the SDR side of it.

I was hoping to get a little bit of a head start by asking for some conceptual advice on how I would go about:

*Scanning a pre-defined list of frequencies - how quickly can you move between frequencies?
*How to check if there is any signal on each frequency (analog or digital)? It looks like you get a sample and then have to interpret it somehow?
*If there is activity how to gauge if it is nearby (signal strength?) - is this feasible?
*If I also wanted to estimate direction, would I use multiple receivers and compare signal strength or something like that?

Ideally I would do this in C# as I know it well and I see there is some code on GitHub for working with RTL-SDR. Is C# okay or is there something else that would be better for this application?

If you can point me to any similar examples that might help me I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

hotpaw2

Re: How to develop own software for scanning frequencies and checking for radio activity

Post by hotpaw2 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:21 am

There are several tutorials on writing programs for the RTL-SDR.
Here's one for Python, mentioned on this site:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/developing-your ... th-python/
Google will find others.