Can't hear FM radio stations I can receive with common radio

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
Vinz87

Can't hear FM radio stations I can receive with common radio

Post by Vinz87 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:36 am

Hi, I'm playing with Gnuradio to build an FM Radio receiver, I live very near a repeater so I receive some FM stations very strong.
The problem is that there are many stations I normally receive with a common radio, even with an iPod which uses earphones as antenna, which I think are blocked by nearby strong stations with RTL-SDR, being in the same location as the iPod.
Which could be the problem? Some kind of RF filtering normal radios do at the front-end in order to make only one channel to pass through? Is there something similar I can do in Gnuradio to block strong adjacent FM radio channels to receive weaker FM radio channels, as normal radios do?
I tried with both telescopic antennas (15cm and 1.5m) provided with the RTL-SDR.com dongle, which I enclosed in the metal case purchased separately.

Thanks

rtlsdrblog
Site Admin

Re: Can't hear FM radio stations I can receive with common r

Post by rtlsdrblog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:14 am

Have you had a look at what the spectrum looks like in a program like SDR# or GQRX? See if it really is overloading there first.

If it's overloading your options are to turn down the RF gains in GNU Radio, use an attenuator or FM filter.