Connections

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
jdkearney

Connections

Post by jdkearney » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:01 pm

I just received my RTL-SDR Blog R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Software Defined Radio with Dipole Antenna Kit from Amazon.com. It was actually a lot cheaper to order it from Amazon.com than from Amazon.ca (I live in Ottawa, Canada).

As there is only a two foot cable on the antenna base, and a nine foot SMA cable, I can find no way to get the antenna outside of the house. I know that there are extension cables for both the USB, between the PC and the SDR unit, and for the SMA cable. Is there any technical advantage, or disadvantage to either choice?

Thank you.

Doug
Last edited by jdkearney on Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe36

Re: Connections

Post by joe36 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:17 am

The R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Software Defined Radio with Dipole Antenna Kit is a very fun starter kit I would highly recommend to all.
It is a starter kit. It has limited dynamic range and will not preform like a high end SDR.
It will pick up a wealth of signals. You will want accessaries like connecters adapters coax and antennas. The connecters can be purchased on this sight or AlieExpress.
As for antennas. They vary from very small for the higher frequencies to very large for the low.
A question to ask is what will you be trying to receive.
If it is say under 500 MHZ RG6 coax has little loss at moderate lengths.
As you go higher in frequency losses become greater.

The advantage of a active extension USB is that you can bring the SDR to the antenna so no coax loss.
The disadvantage is it makes manually switching antennas much harder.

The advantage of coax is you bring the coax to where you want.
The disadvantage is signal loss over long runs.

I prefer to run the coax to the radio. At this time I am using 4 antennas and hope to have 8 up before winter. If you have more than 1 antenna. You will have coax runs.

Joe

jdkearney

Re: Connections

Post by jdkearney » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:16 pm

Thanks Joe. All good info. For now I think that I will go with the active USB extension.