Driver? Nooelec R820T SDR&DVB-T Debian Linux 64bit in VMware

Main forum to discuss RTL-SDR related topics.
hopworks

Driver? Nooelec R820T SDR&DVB-T Debian Linux 64bit in VMware

Post by hopworks » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Greets Everyone,

I have a nooelect sdr usb module that shows up as Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR in VMware. I tried to disconnect it from host and connect it to my Debian Linux but I get an error "driver error" and it does not list with 'lsusb' vial CLI. Ultimately, I want to be able to connect it to my Beaglebone Black, tuned to an FM frequency, record the audio, and archive it as an encoded MP3 to an external hard drive. Either via Daemon or CLI. I have Debian installed on a flash card in my Beaglebone Black. I decided to try it out with my VMware Player virtual machine running Debian Linux as well and this is where I am stuck.

Can anyone help? Do I have the right hardware? I can get another SDR dongle as needed.

Thank you for your time!

hopworks

Re: Driver? Nooelec R820T SDR&DVB-T Debian Linux 64bit in VM

Post by hopworks » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:54 pm

OK, I am not sure what fixed the issue because I was having this issue after I compiled and installed the realtek driver and the RTL-SDR software. What I did though was move the device from a blue-marked USB 3.0 port to a black-marked USB 2.0 port. After I did that, all was good... except...
I can't seem to port audio to where-ever I need to in VMware's Player to get it to my laptop's audio. I tried Sox, and a few others in the CLI command.

What is more frustrating is that I did hear a blast of static with some audio muffled in it. ONCE! It hasn't happened again, even with the same command line options or any others I have tried.

pingpong2012

Re: Driver? Nooelec R820T SDR&DVB-T Debian Linux 64bit in VM

Post by pingpong2012 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Have you tried it as a stream, and listening to it by listening to some localhost:port on the VMWare network adapter if it's on the same machine? If it's not the same machine, then one could probably set up a streaming server period and then use normal IP listening stuff.

I don't have experience with VMWare, but Virtualbox passes audio and network traffic to the host.

As for receiving software, I don't know what it would take, but VLC was literally designed for receiving streams, and there's probably CLI-based audio receivers.